4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We use Workgroup Templates on the network for our primary templates. The downside of this is that when we've had to move those templates to a different server the existing documents hang on opening because they're still looking for the Document Template in the old location. Our file repository is quite large with documents spanning over 10 years and four versions of Office.

I found a post here that suggested placing a template in the user's folder with the same template name so it would look there first. This can't be done because we would have to distribute it to 50+ users and then maintain all those distributed templates every time a change is made to the template. For example, one of the templates in question is the letterhead which changes every few months when someone comes or goes.

The other suggestion on that post was to move the files to be changed to a common folder and then to run a macro that would replace the Document Template setting with the default Normal. There's absolutely no way to find and move these files to a common folder. I wonder if it might be possible to create something like an AutoOpen macro in the common startup.dot template we all share that on opening a Word document would look at the Document Template setting and change it to Normal if that setting was anything but Normal. Couldn't this work?
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='766270' date='19-Mar-2009 19:20']I wonder if it might be possible to create something like an AutoOpen macro in the common startup.dot template we all share that on opening a Word document would look at the Document Template setting and change it to Normal if that setting was anything but Normal. Couldn't this work?[/quote]
    I don't think so. AutoOpen needs to be in the default template Normal.dot, otherwise it won't work.

Couldn't you give the new server the same name as the old one?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766301' date='19-Mar-2009 13:18']Couldn't you give the new server the same name as the old one?[/quote]

No can do. The last location of the workgroup templates was on a NAS that died in January. I was lucky to recover the data off its hard drives. The workgroup templates were relocated to a different existing server until we figure out how to replace the NAS. Meanwhile, if I turn off the old NAS it doesn't take long before I get call after call complaining that Word documents seemingly won't open or take a couple of minutes to open. I've had to leave the old NAS turned on even though the workgroup templates are no longer there to prevent the hang in opening Word document. I'd say 80% of all our documents were created using these workgroup templates so there's a lot of files out there. In a couple months I'll be replacing the server that is now sharing those workgroup templates so I'll have problems with that too because I won't be able to setup the new server with the same name. It'll have to be different than the one already on the network because they'll have to coexist for a while during the transition.

I hate that I'm screwed on this. Would some sort of meta data cleaner help?

If I can't find a way to globally alter the existing documents, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening over and over again when the workgroup templates move? For example, when a letter is made with the letterhead templates could I put an AutoOpen or some other automated macro in there that will seamlessly change the Document Template setting to Normal?
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of an AutoOpen macro, you could create an application-level DocumentOpen event handler in your shared global template. There is a good overview of creating application-level event handlers in Writing application event procedures on the Word MVP site.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could use a macro that searches through the server and checks every .doc file and reassigns the template. This could then be left to run overnight if you wanted to do this unattended. This would be run as a one off event not as part of AutoOpen. Such a macro can be found on here - Allen Wyatt's Word Tips

Another possibility is to create a drive mapping via the user logon script which allows the old templates path to be found on your new server. As an example if the NAS templates location was K:\folder\templates then you could map a second drive on the new server with the path K:\folder\templates and put the old templates into this location. This should work unless the attached template path was defined as \\NAS\folder\templates but in my experience this tends not to happen if the drive is mapped.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='766330' date='19-Mar-2009 15:45']You could use a macro that searches through the server and checks every .doc file and reassigns the template. This could then be left to run overnight if you wanted to do this unattended. This would be run as a one off event not as part of AutoOpen. Such a macro can be found on here - Allen Wyatt's Word Tips[/quote]

This looked really hopeful but after working through it I found that these macros only run on a single specific folder. The search doesn't include subfolders.

Another possibility is to create a drive mapping via the user logon script which allows the old templates path to be found on your new server. As an example if the NAS templates location was K:\folder\templates then you could map a second drive on the new server with the path K:\folder\templates and put the old templates into this location. This should work unless the attached template path was defined as \\NAS\folder\templates but in my experience this tends not to happen if the drive is mapped.
    Unfortunately, the document template paths are through the UNC naming, i.e. \\papsnap\templates.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766321' date='19-Mar-2009 14:55']Instead of an AutoOpen macro, you could create an application-level DocumentOpen event handler in your shared global template. There is a good overview of creating application-level event handlers in Writing application event procedures on the Word MVP site.[/quote]

I'm about halfway reading through this. It's pretty advanced for me. My programming skills are rusty. But I'm going to give it a shot. What do I have to lose?
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='766443' date='20-Mar-2009 11:25']I'm about halfway reading through this. It's pretty advanced for me. My programming skills are rusty. But I'm going to give it a shot. What do I have to lose?[/quote]

I think I've got it right. I aimed my Word startup group to a folder on my hard drive, walked through the instructions to create a template for that startup folder, added language to reset the document template to Normal, closed and restarted Word, and tested it on a Word document known to have an older document template. Seems to work pretty darn well too. I've attached it if you want to take a look. Do you see any harm in my resetting all the document templates to Normal?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daisy

Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='766471' date='20-Mar-2009 13:22']Do you see any harm in my resetting all the document templates to Normal?[/quote]
    Not if you don't need the attached template any more. (The most common reason to continue to need it would be to use macros in the template.)

Another thought: add a DNS entry on your Windows DNS server or WINS server (or the local hosts file) that points the old UNC NetBIOS name to the IP address of a live server. You can either use the new workgroup template server and locate the templates on a matching path, or an arbitrarily chosen server, if you simply want Word to more quickly not find the old template.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='766532' date='21-Mar-2009 00:23']Another thought: add a DNS entry on your Windows DNS server or WINS server (or the local hosts file) that points the old UNC NetBIOS name to the IP address of a live server. You can either use the new workgroup template server and locate the templates on a matching path, or an arbitrarily chosen server, if you simply want Word to more quickly not find the old template.[/quote]

Oh, I like that idea. Is this how to do that?:

Create new zone in Forward Lookup Zones, with primary zone selected, store in AD, to all domain controllers, zone name is name of old server, and do not allow dynamic updates. Then add New Host (A) record with same name as old server and IP address of new server location. Then delete the old server from the Reverse Lookup Zones, subnet.

Is that how I would do the fake out?
    Daisy

Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='766853' date='23-Mar-2009 09:18']Oh, I like that idea. Is this how to do that?:

Create new zone in Forward Lookup Zones, with primary zone selected, store in AD, to all domain controllers, zone name is name of old server, and do not allow dynamic updates. Then add New Host (A) record with same name as old server and IP address of new server location. Then delete the old server from the Reverse Lookup Zones, subnet.[/quote]
    Sorry, I never learned AD and am not familiar with the term "Forward Lookup Zones". However, the part about adding a host record sounds right.