Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    My son sent an email this morning with a copy of some text from a fella on a listserv he subscribes to. It has to do with a new Google telephone service that may or may not compete with Skype. I don't claim to know anything about such things since I'm retired and the phone is a little used instrument in my life these days.

So, here's the NY Times story: State of the Art - Unify the Phone Numbers and All Else Follows - NYTimes.com

And the quote from my son's email:

If you don't wanna read the article, here are the highlights:
    • Google assigns you a telephone number (which can certainly be local to you)
    • When someone calls your Google Voice number, up to 6 phones that you own simultaneously ring -- first one that picks up answers the call. For example, right now my Google Voice number rings my cell, office, and home numbers.
    • You can call your Google Voice number from any phone to check messages or initiate a call to any US number (which means that US <-> US calls are now free).
    • Go to the Google Voice website...type in the number you want to call, select which of your phones you'd like to ring, start talking
    • They appear to be undercutting Skype on overseas calls -- e.g. China is .02/minute
    • and maybe the coolest feature...your vmails are machine transcribed and sent as an email to any email address you'd like.
    Lots more features. No, I don't work for Google -- this is just very neat.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Al,

Certainly an interesting idea and one floated by Microsoft with its Unified Communications offering - albeit, not at the Google costs.

Can I clear up a matter about VOIP calls being free? It is true that you don't pay call costs eg connection and time costs. But there is a data cost.

For people with unlimited download accounts this does equate with free. But here in Australia, most people still have data limits and these calls can eat into them quite quickly.

Thanks
    Al,
    Well, I put my name on Google's call list, for when It's available for people other than "Grand Central" users.
    We will see what happens???
    Thanks for the info. ( I'll call you. [:]] )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    And just in case someone wonders where to go to do that, this should be the link to help you:

Official Google Voice

[attachment=82966:2009_03_19_175718.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,
    I have been using Grand Central for a couple of years now using a phone number in another state. It is a local call for my lady friend and Grand Central rings both my home phone and cell which are 3 states away. No long distance costs for her to call me.
    For 14 months now I have been using MagicJack for all my long distance calls with any incoming calls fowarded to my landline. I like MagicJack as I have an inexpensive wireless phone attached to it so I can roam while making calls.
    The landline is minimum service so that when power is out I still can connect to the outside world.
    I'll still look into those new Google Voice features. I should check my Grand Central in box for details.