Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is of unimportance but I just thought I'd mention it in case others notice AND in case anyone else has found this same phenom in other places in The Lounge.

I normally keep two Firefox tabs open for The Lounge: one with Online Users and the other my Forum Subscriptions page.

When I've been browsing, posting or whatever, if I want to see if someone is online, I go to the tab for that and press F5 to update the list since it's been sitting there idle for some time.

I notice that it still shows ME being in my Forum Subscriptions page ("Using User CP") which is not correct. If I hit F5 again, it will correct itself and show that I am really "Viewing Online List."

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='766381' date='20-Mar-2009 12:19']I notice that it still shows ME being in my Forum Subscriptions page ("Using User CP") which is not correct.[/quote]
    I think the 'Online List' is designed to show where you are actively doing something (as opposed to simply showing yourself to be checking on what other people are doing which the Old Lounge did!)

It's much more useful if you want to check if, for example, another Mod is handling a problem post and you don't want to get in the way of what they were doing - before there was every chance you would simply see each other in 'Who's Online' and not know if they were involved.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='766393' date='20-Mar-2009 09:37']... if you want to check if, for example, another Mod is handling a problem post ...[/quote]
    That's it, almost exactly! With a grin I will say that because of the time of day when I'm most active, I usually jump over there to see if Hans is ALREADY answering a post I'm working on. But I often go there to see whether the user is still online, such as this morning when I was responding to a post from Silver Fox. If I saw that he was still present, I might have chosen to PM him with a question before making my post.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='766398' date='20-Mar-2009 13:44']...I usually jump over there to see if Hans is ALREADY answering a post I'm working on...[/quote]
    Which is surely more important than seeing that he too is checking who is online?

(I'm just unsure if your saying that the way it works is 'not correct' means you want it changed...?)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What I find EVEN MORE USEFUL is the indication of who is reading the same post as me. I no longer need to use Who's Online just to avoid conflicting edits of the same post.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='766408' date='20-Mar-2009 11:23']Which is surely more important than seeing that he too is checking who is online?

(I'm just unsure if your saying that the way it works is 'not correct' means you want it changed...?)[/quote]
    What I meant when I said it's incorrect is that it seems to me, when you click a link or a selection bar to do something or "go somewhere" it should be a concurrent refresh, which means to me in this case that I AM reading and present in the Online window. I'm not still back in some other place in The Lounge.

I guess I'm not saying it right. AND, with deference to our resources I don't suppose I would ASK that it be changed unless it's a concern to more than just me, and it seems it's not.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='766381' date='20-Mar-2009 05:19']I normally keep two Firefox tabs open for The Lounge: one with Online Users and the other my Forum Subscriptions page.

When I've been browsing, posting or whatever, if I want to see if someone is online, I go to the tab for that and press F5 to update the list since it's been sitting there idle for some time.

I notice that it still shows ME being in my Forum Subscriptions page ("Using User CP") which is not correct. If I hit F5 again, it will correct itself and show that I am really "Viewing Online List."[/quote]
    Could be the browser. Starting in version 1.5, Firefox is much more aggressive about caching and displaying cached pages. The idea is to make back and forward more "instant." The downside is sometimes you have to use Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+F5 to "fully" refresh the page. This re-retrieves all the images, though, so it is much slower.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='766642' date='21-Mar-2009 19:16']Could be the browser. Starting in version 1.5, Firefox is much more aggressive about caching and displaying cached pages. The idea is to make back and forward more "instant." The downside is sometimes you have to use Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+F5 to "fully" refresh the page. This re-retrieves all the images, though, so it is much slower.[/quote]
    Maybe that's it, so I'll have to see. All I know is it seems very strange to me. Here's a sample:
    I never logout. I simply close the two Lounge tabs and leave Fx sitting on my home page.
    I've been gone for 4 or 5 hours now to a birthday party.
    I click on my bookmark for the Online Users screen ( http://www.wopr.com/index.php?act=Online&a...mp;show_mem=reg ).
    The Online Users screen opens and DOES NOT show me as present and I don't think that should happen since I've been away for hours. I just clicked a fresh link.
    When I press the F5 key to refresh that screen, it then says that I'm in my Control Panel (Forum Subscriptions).
    If all of that is the way things are supposed to work, then mea culpa. I'll just get used to hitting F5 a lot more.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='766653' date='21-Mar-2009 18:03']I've been gone for 4 or 5 hours now to a birthday party.
    I click on my bookmark for the Online Users screen ( http://www.wopr.com/index.php?act=Online&a...mp;show_mem=reg ).
    The Online Users screen opens and DOES NOT show me as present and I don't think that should happen since I've been away for hours. I just clicked a fresh link.
    When I press the F5 key to refresh that screen, it then says that I'm in my Control Panel (Forum Subscriptions).[/quote]
    I think I misunderstood. What you describe makes some sense: your online presence timed out, and then you retrieved a page. The contents of the page were based on the online users' status as of the moment you retrieved it. Apparently the software does not log your "new" request as your "current" status before serving the page. Instead, it finishes serving you the page and only then updates its records of your last activity. That sounds as though it is more efficient than the old system, if less informative...

Added: Hope it was a great party.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='766704' date='22-Mar-2009 15:37']... That sounds as though it is more efficient than the old system, if less informative...

Added: Hope it was a great party.[/quote]
    Thanks, Jefferson. As I said earlier, I'll just deal with it with the F5 key.

Yeah, my "first" grandson was eight yesterday and the extended family had a nice party for him. It was a real hoot.