2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to use a GoToControl to open a page on a tabbed form from an open tabbed form? I have some tests that when a wrong answer is selected a material review is opened. I have been doing this by setting each review on it's own form. My problem now is, I need to go to less forms so that I can mde the file. I need to mde the file so that I can by pass the Security Warning Options steps. While I am on the subject I am pasting slides to the forms. Will it run better if after pasting them I convert them to a picture? I am noticing that pasting the slides is eating up a ton of memory.

I have thought about navigating within the same tabbed form since the class slides are the first pages in the form but I am not sure how to cleanly (dummy proof) navigate back to the question. The way it works now is a seperate form opens the slide is reviewed and the end user closes the form and is back to the question page.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can activate a tab page by setting the value of the tab control as a whole to 0 for the first tab, 1 for the second tab, etc.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bhodg' post='766410' date='20-Mar-2009 12:38']Is it possible to use a GoToControl to open a page on a tabbed form from an open tabbed form? I have some tests that when a wrong answer is selected a material review is opened. I have been doing this by setting each review on it's own form. My problem now is, I need to go to less forms so that I can mde the file. I need to mde the file so that I can by pass the Security Warning Options steps. While I am on the subject I am pasting slides to the forms. Will it run better if after pasting them I convert them to a picture? I am noticing that pasting the slides is eating up a ton of memory.

I have thought about navigating within the same tabbed form since the class slides are the first pages in the form but I am not sure how to cleanly (dummy proof) navigate back to the question. The way it works now is a seperate form opens the slide is reviewed and the end user closes the form and is back to the question page.[/quote]

Several things.

First, you can move to a tab page by setting the value of the tab control to the proper value. I make sure I rename each page to something meaningful. So if for a customer form I have a tab control with pages for Invoices, Payments, Bids, etc., to change to the Invoice page my code might be something like this:

ctlTab.value = pgInvoices.PageIndex

I didn't understand the comment about going to less forms so you could make an mde file.

As for handling pictures, you'd be better off keep the pictures as files on disk, and only storing the location of the picture in your database. Access is notoriously bad about handling stored pictures.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MarkLiquorman' post='766448' date='20-Mar-2009 18:40']Several things.

First, you can move to a tab page by setting the value of the tab control to the proper value. I make sure I rename each page to something meaningful. So if for a customer form I have a tab control with pages for Invoices, Payments, Bids, etc., to change to the Invoice page my code might be something like this:

ctlTab.value = pgInvoices.PageIndex

I didn't understand the comment about going to less forms so you could make an mde file.

As for handling pictures, you'd be better off keep the pictures as files on disk, and only storing the location of the picture in your database. Access is notoriously bad about handling stored pictures.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.

As a clarification, I have gotten the error "Unable to convert to MDE" message when trying to convert an mdb to an mde. When I finially tracked down the issue behind the error I found that MDE files can only handle X number of forms. I have experimented and if I keep my file somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 forms then I don't have an issue with the conversion. Go figure.

I have a similar issue when too many controls are placed onto a form, it goes haywire on me. I solved that by using subforms I guess the program sees the the parent and the sub as seperate.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know where you are getting that max of 10 forms in a mde file. That is totally ridiculous. There is no limit on the number of forms. There are other limiting factors, but not just the absolute # of forms. If you are getting the "can't convert to mde" message, it means that your mdb can't compile. Try to separate compile it to find the error.

There is a limit of 255 controls per form. I have a hard time imagining you are routinely hitting that maximum.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MarkLiquorman' post='766760' date='23-Mar-2009 03:45']There is a limit of 255 controls per form. I have a hard time imagining you are routinely hitting that maximum.[/quote]
    As far as I know, the limit is 754 controls over the entire lifetime of a form or report (i.e. if you create 700 controls on a form, then delete 500 of them, you can only add 54 new ones even though the present number of controls is far below 754). See Access 2007 specifications; this limit hasn't changed from previous versions.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766783' date='23-Mar-2009 05:46']As far as I know, the limit is 754 controls over the entire lifetime of a form or report (i.e. if you create 700 controls on a form, then delete 500 of them, you can only add 54 new ones even though the present number of controls is far below 754). See Access 2007 specifications; this limit hasn't changed from previous versions.[/quote]
    Thanks, I guess I was relying on my "memory" rather than looking it up; probably because this is one limit I've never had problems with (nor have I ever heard of anyone having problems with!). But the 754 control maximum makes it even more unlikely he was hitting the limit.
    Mark Liquorman