New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

I have Windows XP and use Firefox as my browser. I cannot install Windows Service Pack 3!! When I do, I cannot open my computer except in Safe Mode. Does anyone know how I can install SP3? Thanks for your help!!--FIRECRACKERMANGO

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='firecrackermango' post='766428' date='20-Mar-2009 17:32']Does anyone know how I can install SP3?[/quote]
    Can you describe exactly what happens during and after the installation, so we can try to understand the cause.

Are you installing from Windows Update, or have you downloaded the SP3 updated from the Microsoft web site?
    What error messages do you get?
    What happens when you try to start Windows in normal mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to install SP3 from the update icon as well as download from Microsoft website. When it is installed, it tries to restart my computer. However, my computer will not start except in Safe mode. It tries to but can't. I get an error message giving me a variety of things that could have occurred including problems with software/program changes.

Thanks
    [quote name='firecrackermango' post='766659' date='21-Mar-2009 23:13'][/quote]

I you boot into Safe Mode, try to do a System Restore to a time before the SP3 change.
    If that fixes it, run SP directly from MS Update ( not auto update ) and make sure all Anti-virus and Malware progs are stopped.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='firecrackermango' post='766659' date='22-Mar-2009 04:13']I have tried to install SP3 from the update icon as well as download from Microsoft website. When it is installed, it tries to restart my computer. However, my computer will not start except in Safe mode. <snip>[/quote]
    MSFT has some simple steps to try.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3