Thread: upgrade from ME

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible to upgrade a PC from ME to 2000 or XP? Is it at all possible to buy the software?
    I would leave the PC with ME. it runs very well and has done so for years, but my printer (shared with my Vista Laptop) has gone on the blink and I can't find a new one that is compatible with ME.
    Please don't suggest going the whole hog and upgrading it to Vista. My husband is very reactionary!!

Thanks in advance

Annpa

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='annpa' post='766446' date='20-Mar-2009 13:29'][/quote]

You can still find XP on the web. Whether you really should or not depends on the hardware configuration. Let us know more about the PC in question including application software and any other peripheral devices in addition to the printer.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. I apologise for the delay in answering. Another bout of flu laid me low.

I solved the problem of hanging on to the ME platform by finding a brand new HP deskjet D2360 which I set up and the ME PC is printing away merrily.

There was a problem when I tried to install the printer on the Vista laptop to find that the available platforms were from 98SE to XPx64. I kept on getting a message that I did not have administrator privileges. Strange, as I am the only user and set myself up with administrator privileges. However I found a download on the HP site which allowed me to download the full installation files, Photosmart etc, and a Vista driver. Hooray! Tomorrow my brother is going to teach me how to get around those pesky administrator messages!

now I'm cooking on gas!!

Thanks. There's always a way around everything. Just takes longer.

Cheers
    Annpa

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='annpa' post='768013' date='28-Mar-2009 13:37'][/quote]

You're welcome. Good luck with it. We'll still be here if you need more help.

Joe