Thread: Name Ranges

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I'd like to name a range but not have it specifc to a particular sheet. I'm using version 2003. Right now if I go to the Name/Define option, it always asks for a sheet name and it will always go to sheet2 and the range. But if I'm on sheet 3, I'd like it to choose the same range.

Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Deb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='masterd' post='766455' date='20-Mar-2009 15:19']Hi,
    I'd like to name a range but not have it specifc to a particular sheet. I'm using version 2003. Right now if I go to the Name/Define option, it always asks for a sheet name and it will always go to sheet2 and the range. But if I'm on sheet 3, I'd like it to choose the same range.

thanks,
    Deb[/quote]

All ranges you name in one worksheet of your workbook will be availabe in all sheets of that same workbook. As a result , you cannot use the same name twice in the same workbook.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tom Duthie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well someone has a workbook file where this works, but I don't have access to this file to look at it to figure it out. Just so I'm clear. I'd like to pick a named range, a1:a12, from the name box drop down and when I select it, I don't want it to take me to the original sheet I was on when I created it. I want it to be specific to just the range, so no matter what sheet I'm on, when I choose that named range, it goes to it on the current sheet.

thanks,
    deb

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The trick to this is to used copies of the "original" worksheet. To explain just follow these steps as an example

1. Open a new workbook
    2. Delete all worksheets except sheet 1
    3. In A1 type 1
    4. In A2 type 2
    5. Select cells A1:A2
    6. Define a name to the range, say, Values
    7. Copy the worksheet by holding Ctrl and dragging the tab across to the right

You will now have a new sheet called Sheet 1 (2). Go to the name box and select Values from the list, you will note the cells A1:A2 will be highlighted. This will happen on whichever sheet you are on.

HTH
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

You can have Ranges defined on each sheet in a workbook so that the range is only known in the specific sheet.

One of the handy features of Excel is that you can define names that refer to ranges of cells. (This is a big plus when you want to write formulas that make sense.) When you create a named range, Excel assumes that you want the name to be available from every worksheet within a workbook. You can, however, specify that a name be valid only for the current worksheet. In this way you can define the same name on different worksheets in your workbook. Thus, you could have a range named MyRange on Sheet1, and a range named MyRange on Sheet2, and also on Sheet3. To create names that are applicable to a specific worksheet, follow these steps:

1. Select the range of cells that you want to name.
    2. Choose Name from the Insert menu, then choose Define. Excel displays the Define Name dialog box.
    3. In the Names in Workbook box, enter the name of the current worksheet, an exclamation mark, and the
    name you want to define, as in Sheet1!MyRange.
    4. Click on Add.

That's it. Now, if you go to a different worksheet, the name you defined will not be available from that worksheet--only from the worksheet in which it was defined.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Alternatively, you could define a name like this:

Name:GlobalName
    RefersTo:=INDIRECT("A1")
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='masterd' post='766455' date='20-Mar-2009 15:19']Hi,

thanks,
    Deb[/quote]
    Deb:
    I just tested this possible solution, and it works with my data. See if you can apply it to your case:
    The attached file contains two worksheets. It also contains a named range, "RangeOne". "RangeOne" has this definition, if you look in the Define Name dialog box:
    =INDIRECT($A$4:$C$9)
    I placed a SUM formula in cell A12 on both of the worksheets, as
    =SUM(RangeOne)
    HTH.
    Attached Files Attached Files