Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Hello,

I finally got my ex to purchase a new computer for business and home as his "current" computer is 8 years old and has had many upgrades. I am frustrated with the weekly problem calls; this week it was that the computer sounded like a "thrashing machine." I did hear noise over the phone but it has been here and running for two days without any problem.

My thought was to copy his approx. 1300 advertising files to my WD Element External HD and to transfer them to the new computer. 500 files made the trip (working order? Don't know yet.) Then I received an error: Cannot copy (name of file) Cannot find the name of the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

After Googling, someone in another forum - (I thought you all might be tired of me) - I already know you are the best - suggested that I run check disk to see the condition of the drive. At RUN, I typed:
    chkdsk c: /f /r I was asked if it could run at restart and I chose yes.

It never ran check disk as far as I know and when it reboots, I see the screen
    where normally all the statistics load and I can choose to boot from a CD. Now I
    only get a couple of seconds of that screen and it sits on the screen that has
    the motherboard's name and the options TAB, CTRL+P, CTRL+F, CTRL+C and DELETE
    and, of course, none of them respond.

The challenge for me is that I have to have the new computer with his work files, favorites, etc. up and running by Monday. I would shout for help but due to my exhaustion and just plain dumbness, this is the 5th time I've had to type this plea for assistance. Freddy, one of my cats, deleted one.

Help??? Please??? (BTW: After trying and trying, I couldn't get BOLD off - so does that mean it is simple to do?)

cs.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

If anyone could possible help, I'd appreciate it very much!

I need to know approximately what I have done and what I can do. The computer was working fine until I was unable to transfer the last 800 files. And even then there was no problem booting; it was working normally.

It was suggest it that I run check disk; did I do something wrong by running chkdsk c: /f /r from the RUN box in XP?

Anybody (everybody!!! up for a challenge!) The other IDE computer went home last week . . . FYI.

Please help!

cs.

Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks
    jpg][quote name='Citsme' post='766590' date='21-Mar-2009 13:38']
    It was suggest it that I run check disk; did I do something wrong by running chkdsk c: /f /r from the RUN box in XP?

[/quote]

Did you always have your boot order set to choose the CD drive as first choice?

Try running chkdsk from within windows by clicking My Computer>select\highlight your C drive and right click it. click Properties>Tools>Error checking. clcik both check boxes as shown in the screenshot, then Start. It will ask to preform this on the next boot? and answer yes.
    Reboot.
    It should then do a chkdsk before Windows starts.

If it still asks for the CD, maybe this is getting in the way of starting chkdsk ( but I wouldn't think so ) You could try going into the BIOS to change the boot order to have it boot to the hard drive first, then repeating the chkdsk request.
    [attachment=82996:Capture3...54.57_PM.jpg]
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Bob,

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly; I can't get to the BIOS - I can't get anywhere! The computer is set to boot from the CD first but I get a couple lines down that opening screen and it goes to a different screen where none of the options work. I can't even get into the BIOS. I can't get to the "press any key to boot from CD."

I was attempting to transfer approx 1300 files to a WD external HD and 500 made it without a problem (at least I think so; I have to check them first!) I then got a message that I put in my first post about checking file name and path.

It was suggested that I check the drive with check disk; the drive was still operating but the files were giving me a problem. I turned it off and it was scheduled to chkdsk on the reboot. That is when everything stopped working.

Sounds like a hardware failure but the timing with the chkdsk makes it a little strange. It doesn't even get to the point where it shows how much memory, how many hard drives etc.

Please not the motherboard!
    Mahatma Ghandi

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Citsme' post='766622' date='21-Mar-2009 20:41']<snip>
    Sounds like a hardware failure but the timing with the chkdsk makes it a little strange. It doesn't even get to the point where it shows how much memory, how many hard drives etc.

Please not the motherboard! [/quote]
    Hi Citsme,
    I understood from your first post that you could not start Windows (after this happened). It could very well be hardware related (HDD), given the initial reports of "noise" (which was the reason to do the backup, but also the chkdsk run with parameters (but that never started, it seems). So we can't assume it has been run, as the subject says.

With parameters chkdsk tries to repair if errors are found, this also means changes are done on the HDD. The outcome could be fixed data or data structure, but since the status of the HDD is not known, it could perhaps even get worse (chkdsk without parameters is read-only).

When the copy process stopped at 500 of 1300 files, you should have checked for some file recovery software (perhaps here at the Lounge). There have been several threads here on the subject "file recovery".

If it now stops at the POST; have you checked all the settings in BIOS setup? You could change the boot order to HDD first, and for the moment forget about having the CD-ROM drive first. In worst case, especially if you don't know all the settings in BIOS and their correct values, one could perhaps load "default fail safe" settings in BIOS, then checking boot order again, and try to start.

OK, wait, you now said you can't get into BIOS setup, so:
    I assume you have checked all hardware inside, all cables etc. are seated, and that there is no CD in the tray, messing with the boot order. Also temporarily disconnect any unnecessary devices etc. such as external HDD if it was connected.

If there wasn't a suspected failing HDD but only a chkdsk not running at start up; one could run chkdsk from the Windows installation CD (from the recovery console). But as I said trying to do repairs on a potentially failing HDD is not what one wants to do, since it may ruin file data, first backup and recovery, then perhaps repairs.

But in your case, I think I would like to run software such as PC Inspector File Recovery, it doesn’t do changes or repairs, just recovery, but that means you must be able to boot into Windows.

Thanks
    Do you still have the original XP CD or a recovery CD, if it's an OEM like Dell or HP?
    IF you put a CD in, will it let you boot to it?

If you can, then a Repair reinstall of XP would be what I would try.
    ( I don't think it's the motherboard )

Give us a little more detail as to what hardware setup you have.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!