New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had 1 PC on my network miss a backup last night. I understand that the little Icon on my desktop will not change colors yet (until 5 days with a problem), but shouldn't the 'Status' column in the 'Computers and Backups' screen in the console tell me that it was missed ? Right now it says 'Backup Completed', and the little dot next to the message is green.

It is only after I right click and 'View Backups' that I see a day missing.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks
    [quote name='LizardKing' post='766563' date='21-Mar-2009 13:38']I had 1 PC on my network miss a backup last night. I understand that the little Icon on my desktop will not change colors yet (until 5 days with a problem), but shouldn't the 'Status' column in the 'Computers and Backups' screen in the console tell me that it was missed ? Right now it says 'Backup Completed', and the little dot next to the message is green.
    It is only after I right click and 'View Backups' that I see a day missing.[/quote]
    What backup product are you using, on what version of Windows Server?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='766632' date='21-Mar-2009 16:32'][/quote]

He is using the backup in Windows Home Server. It automatically attempts to backup all client PCs daily.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='LizardKing' post='766563' date='21-Mar-2009 08:38'][/quote]

I suspect that all those various status thing are tied together. You may want to visit one or more of the following WHS enthusiast forums:

MS Windows Home Server :: View Forum - Software Discussion & Assistance
    We Got Served Forums -> Home Computer Backup
    Backup and Restore - Forum Topic: MediaSmart Home
    MediaSmartServer.net • View forum - Software

You are more likely to find someone who knows WHS in depth there. If you find an answer please post back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted on WeGotServed and got this answer back.

"Daily backups are actually initiated by the local WHS Connector and not the server. The status on the WHS server is for the last backup attempt from each computer and what you are seeing is how WHS is designed."

Ok - That makes sense. I'm really just trying to figure out an easy way to find out if all of my backups are happening without waiting 5 days (I think WHS will tell me after 5 days of missed backups), and without having to review the backup details everyday for each client PC.

There is a registry change I can try - but I hate to go down that path if I can avoid it.

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='LizardKing' post='766749' date='22-Mar-2009 19:04'][/quote]

Thanks for posting back.

What is the registry change? Do you have a link to a post or article about it?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a link to the thread about the Registry settings.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...1b-699c46bdc527

Scroll down and look for the post from Ken Warren dated Sunday, December 21, 2008 9:09:57 AM.

I looked at making the changes it describes, but my registry didn't look anything at all like the post describes so I chickened out. You can see a coversation about that subject and Ken Warren's comment in the link below.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w...4f-58882d198e69

The whole story is that I have been chasing this pretty hard. You can see in the Link above that I am hoping for this functionality in PP2. But, according to Ken - I shouldn't hold my breath.

I am also in contact with Alexander Kent (author of Grid Junction). He seems somewhat interested - so maybe he will pick up on this and we can get something done via an add-in. I think a LOT of people would love to see this functionality.

Rich