Thread: Placeholders

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I sometimes get a problem with Outlook Express 6. A photo embedded in the body of a received email shows as a blank rectangle with a small square in the corner surrounding a red cross. I have read that this is called a placeholder. I have tried all the remedies in my book :
    1. In IE7 > Tools > Options > Advanced > Multimedia. Show Pictures is ticked and Show Image Placeholders is unticked.

2. In IE7 > Tools > Options > General > Browsing History > Settings. I have set the Temporary Internet Files ( Cache ? ) disk space to use to 125 Mb.

3. In OE6 > Tools > Options > Security. Block Images and Other Content is unticked and Do Not Allow Attachments to be Saved is also unticked.

Once I received an email with a photo as normal but when I forwarded it to a friend only the placeholder showed when he received the email. I then forwarded it to myself ( I have 2 email addresses ) and the same thing happened !

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3. I don't have any problems opening photos in email attachments.
    I have tried putting Placeholders in the search box of this Oulook Express section but there is nothing relevant to my problem. Does anybody know if there is anything else that I can do to solve this intermittent problem please. Thank you.
    Dave Dale.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this happens ONLY sometimes, then it is NOT a issue with your machine, but the source of the image. It may have been moved or deleted from the linked server.

You might try right clicking the "Placeholder" and selecting properties. This should give you the linked URL, which you can copy and paste into your browser address pane and see if the image is there. I have seen many that are linked to the original senders C drive

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='766572' date='21-Mar-2009 14:58']If this happens ONLY sometimes, then it is NOT a issue with your machine, but the source of the image. It may have been moved or deleted from the linked server.

You might try right clicking the "Placeholder" and selecting properties. This should give you the linked URL, which you can copy and paste into your browser address pane and see if the image is there. I have seen many that are linked to the original senders C drive [/quote]

Dave A,
    Thank you for that advice. However, the problem doesn't occur with websites - only with emails. In OE6, if I right click the Placeholder there is no option to select Properties. I presume that this is only available with webpages showing Placeholders.
    Dave Dale.