Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    HP Pavilion desktop with Vista 32-bit Ultimate and Office 2007 Ultimate.

My Outlook 2007 will not start for me. A virus scan shows no problem, and the latest restore point is today, and possibly too late, with no prior restore points showing, which is mysterious indeed. The latest data backup is recent enough (two days ago at worst), and all other Office programs start normally.

I am treading very carefully and would welcome any advice. Default browsers make a difference when it comes to Outlook, and with the installation of IE8 I spent some time fooling around with alternatives. This included the installation of Chrome, which was the default for a period.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='766727' date='22-Mar-2009 13:58']My Outlook 2007 will not start for me. A virus scan shows no problem, and the latest restore point is today, and possibly too late, with no prior restore points showing, which is mysterious indeed. The latest data backup is recent enough (two days ago at worst), and all other Office programs start normally.[/quote]
    Outlook may not have exited completely the last time it was run. I don't know how you access the Task Manager in Vista -- does Ctrl+Alt+Esc still work? Rather than kill the Outlook.exe process yourself (assuming it is listed there), it might make more sense to restart Windows.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='766728' date='23-Mar-2009 04:03']Outlook may not have exited completely the last time it was run. I don't know how you access the Task Manager in Vista -- does Ctrl+Alt+Esc still work? Rather than kill the Outlook.exe process yourself (assuming it is listed there), it might make more sense to restart Windows.[/quote]

WOW! You hit the nail on the head with that idea, which I confess might never have occurred to me in the circumstances.

Task manager reports that I have TEN INSTANCES of Outlook running. NOW what do I do? I just want to be really sure of the best route to take. No, you will not be held liable for any complications that ensue, and the sight of this really was jarring.

Multiple instances is a problem I have encountered before with Windows Explorer, and I didn't know what to make of it. In the case of Explorer it was just two instances, but I have problems with that application at times.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='766742' date='22-Mar-2009 15:56']Task manager reports that I have TEN INSTANCES of Outlook running. NOW what do I do? I just want to be really sure of the best route to take. No, you will not be held liable for any complications that ensue, and the sight of this really was jarring.[/quote]
    Well, I don't think there is any orderly way to shut them all down when they hung during startup. You can restart Windows and let Windows handle it. Probably the data file will be checked when you fire up Outlook the next time, and hopefully it's fine.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm back in business with Outlook thanks to your help. I did go through the Outlook 'safe mode' twice, but now it is back to normal, and I'll know where to look first the next time. Thank you very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='766747' date='22-Mar-2009 18:42'][/quote]

Next time when you have the processes listed in task manager you can right click on the Outlook.exe processes one at a time and select "End Process" if you do not want to re-boot.

NOTE: Usually it is an add-in that causes this sort of issue in Outlook. You may want to check what add-ins you have running.

Joe
    Joe