5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Last summer, I upgraded to Norton Internet Security v.16.5.0.135, which allows for idle time scans. Under Computer Settings | Computer Scans, I have Idle Time Scan set to “weekly.” However, I only have Idle Full System Scan Results once every two weeks or so (sometimes, only once in up to three weeks). I have the following questions:

1. Is the infrequency of the Full System Scan Results the result of my not leaving my computer idle for enough time to complete the idle scans?
    2. If so, does it make any sense to allow the user to choose “weekly” under Idle Time Scan, since this will cause him/her to believe that a full idle scan will occur once per week, when in reality, the frequency with which Norton realizes the idle scans depends not on that setting, but rather, on the amount of time the user leaves the computer idle?
    3. Is leaving the idle time scan option on and set at weekly a bad idea if Norton is only realizing full system scans at an average of once every two weeks (13 days to be exact) and at some times, going over three weeks (once it got up to 24 days to be exact) without the full scan having been completed with the displayed results?
    4. If it is a bad idea, do you recommend setting Norton Internet Security v.16.5.0.135 to run weekly scans (not idle scans) which force the program to run a full system scan once per week at a scheduled day and time?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Probably.
    2. You could leave your computer on overnight at least once a week - the full scan will be performed then.
    3/4. If leaving the PC on overnight isn't feasible, you could schedule a weekly scan at a fixed date/time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Leaving the computer on overnight once a week sounds like a good idea, especially since the scheduled Norton scan has the flaw of not working if I am not logged in at the hour it is scheduled to run (if I get home one minute after the scheduled scan and log into the computer then, I don't think it will work), except that my computer is SO LOUD while Norton is scanning that I can't sleep.