5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    About three weeks ago, I watched a dvd on my laptop with no problem, but then two weeks ago, I put a dvd in the dvd drive and nothing happened. I opened Windows Explorer and found that the laptop did not even recognize anything in the E (dvd) drive. I thought that maybe it was the disk, so I tried inserting a couple of others, and to my dismay, none of them were being recognized.

They would spin around a few times but would never cause the window that asks what I want to do to pop up.

Does anyone of a simple solution? Although I have it under warranty, I would really like to avoid having to take the laptop to a center and being away from it for 2 weeks while they repair it as that is seriously disruptive bc I rely on the laptop for many things.

BTW, could this be due to watching a dvd meant for zone 2 on a laptop purchased from a zone 1 country? I have switched from zone 1 to zone 2 and back to zone 1 several times before, with my laptop warning me that I could only make the change 3 more times, then 2 more times, but the last time I made the switch, I think I still had 2 more switches left, so I don't think that was the problem, but if it was, would having switched the zone too many times be the cause of my dvd player's inability to read disks?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's probably a hardware problem - the lens being slightly misaligned or something like that. So although it's inconvenient for you, you should have it repaired while it's still under warranty.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='766788' date='23-Mar-2009 05:58']... would having switched the zone too many times be the cause of my dvd player's inability to read disks? ...[/quote]
    I don't know the answer to the above question since I've never had that experience.

However, I do agree that it's probably a hardware problem and you should report it. I have a 2 year old Dell desktop whose CD/DVD combo drive went out not too long after I got it. In my case, it would still do CDs just fine but would not read or recognize any DVDs. I did online support with a Dell guy and he had me run the diagnostics that confirmed the bad drive and it was replaced.