Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

A client has a model in Excel2003 with fifteen userforms. For the text boxes and combo boxes in those userforms, some of them have the _Change event, and others have the _AfterUpdate event.

As far as my research in microsoft.com and MSDN has shown, Microsoft doesn't want to be bothered with explaining these events types, and in particular whether they are interchangeable.

Does anyone know of a web site/web page which reasonably explains these two event types for these two control types (or for all control types)? If not, can anyone at least explain whether _AfterUpdate is the better choice, whether _Change is the better choice, or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    If you use the Change event of a textbox it occurs whenever the textbox changes - i.e. it fires for each character you type in the textbox. The AfterUpdate event is triggered once as you leave the textbox, between the BeforeUpdate and Exit events.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks
    To expand on Rory's comments, which is better will depend on what you are using it for.

If you want to validate the entry, you can validate the entire entry in the AfterUpdate event, but if you have a complicated entry where some items are particular characters (these are numbers those are alphabetic, some are either, some only particular letters or numbers, etc) , instead of waiting for the end to point out all the errors, you could use the Change event to look at each one to validat it char by character

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='rory' post='766823' date='23-Mar-2009 10:24']If you use the Change event of a textbox it occurs whenever the textbox changes - i.e. it fires for each character you type in the textbox. The AfterUpdate event is triggered once as you leave the textbox, between the BeforeUpdate and Exit events.[/quote]
    Rory:
    - And do these remarks apply to combo boxes as well?
    - Isn't there a Microsoft document/publication which provides a brief explanation of the various events available? I know that I have seen one, about five years ago. I'm not picky -- doesn't have to be a Microsoft document...
    Thanks very much for the response.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sdckapr' post='766851' date='23-Mar-2009 12:16']To expand on Rory's comments, which is better will depend on what you are using it for.

If you want to validate the entry, you can validate the entire entry in the AfterUpdate event, but if you have a complicated entry where some items are particular characters (these are numbers those are alphabetic, some are either, some only particular letters or numbers, etc) , instead of waiting for the end to point out all the errors, you could use the Change event to look at each one to validat it char by character

Steve[/quote]
    Steve:
    That's helpful. I won't use Change for this app, then, because there are just numbers with which they are dealing and because there are a total of ~75 text boxes plus ~30 combo boxes. It already acts sluggish. Much obliged.

Thanks
    [quote name='JohnSimkins' post='766956' date='24-Mar-2009 00:44']Rory:
    - And do these remarks apply to combo boxes as well?
    - Isn't there a Microsoft document/publication which provides a brief explanation of the various events available? I know that I have seen one, about five years ago. I'm not picky -- doesn't have to be a Microsoft document...
    Thanks very much for the response.[/quote]

Yes, it is the same for the combobox - the change event fires whenever the value changes. (a combobox is basically a textbox and a listbox)
    I think there used to be a reference on MSDN, but I'm damned if I can find it. I will post back if I do locate one.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='JohnSimkins' post='766957' date='24-Mar-2009 00:53']there are a total of ~75 text boxes plus ~30 combo boxes[/quote]

Forgot to mention - if you are using the same code for some or all of those textboxes and comboboxes, I hope you are using class modules!
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sdckapr' post='766992' date='24-Mar-2009 06:27']Does this help:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155610.aspx

Steve[/quote]
    Steve: Thank you for pointing me to that reference -- it's a keeper! In the current matter, though, I want something similar, but which explains only the events belonging to controls on the form, not the form.
    So far, your post sdckapr @ 23-Mar-2009 12:16 has been the most help. Thanks.