Thread: Row Height

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having a heckuva time getting rows in my spreadsheet to display all the text. Now, I'm no Excel genius, but I've wrapped the text, auto fit the row height, manually fit the row height, all to no avail. Is there some sort of limit on the number of characters that can fit in any one cell? Should I set the column width before I set the row height? I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a week and it's driving me crazy!

I have one column in my spreadsheet that displays file notes. I'd like it to be 100 wide and then auto size the row height as necessary. Every time I try and do this, cells that contain a larger amount of text cut off. Unfortunately, there are many records contained in this spreadsheet and unless I go through them line-by-line, I cannot tell which have cut off and which have not. This seems like it should be so easy!

Thanks, Gabi

Thanks
    In earlier versions of Excel, it has never been WYSIWYG so perhaps it is the same in XL2007. It can vary with the default printer driver as well as the zoom.

There is also a limit of about 1000 chars to fit in a cell (though I am not sure if this is still the same for XL2007)
    Steve

Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=421 Ignore the Zip file in the sample which is corrupted.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gabi' post='766884' date='24-Mar-2009 06:48']I am having a heckuva time getting rows in my spreadsheet to display all the text. Now, I'm no Excel genius, but I've wrapped the text, auto fit the row height, manually fit the row height, all to no avail. Is there some sort of limit on the number of characters that can fit in any one cell? Should I set the column width before I set the row height? I've been trying to figure this out on my own for a week and it's driving me crazy!

I have one column in my spreadsheet that displays file notes. I'd like it to be 100 wide and then auto size the row height as necessary. Every time I try and do this, cells that contain a larger amount of text cut off. Unfortunately, there are many records contained in this spreadsheet and unless I go through them line-by-line, I cannot tell which have cut off and which have not. This seems like it should be so easy!

Thanks, Gabi[/quote]
    Hi Gabi,

In addition to the character limit - 32,767 characters, of which only 1,024 display in a cell - a cell can't be more than 409 points high.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]