2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anybody know if there is a command to edit a footnote/endnote with a keyboard shortcut?

I found InsertFootnote and InsertFootnoteNow, but not something that says "EditFootnote" or something like that.

It is a nuisance to have to double-click with the mouse when you have 100s of footnotes to check.

Thank you so much for all the help you guys give in this forum. It has saved me hours.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='vgarrim' post='767088' date='25-Mar-2009 04:02']Does anybody know if there is a command to edit a footnote/endnote with a keyboard shortcut?

I found InsertFootnote and InsertFootnoteNow, but not something that says "EditFootnote" or something like that.

It is a nuisance to have to double-click with the mouse when you have 100s of footnotes to check.

Thank you so much for all the help you guys give in this forum. It has saved me hours.[/quote]
    You can simply click the footnote and edit it, don't you? Why are you in need of a keyboard shortcut? I'm confused.
    Armstrong

Thanks
    [quote name='vgarrim' post='767088' date='24-Mar-2009 13:02']Does anybody know if there is a command to edit a footnote/endnote with a keyboard shortcut?[/quote]
    Sorry, I can't recall which version of Word you are using. In Word 2003, if your insertion point is next to a footnote number in text, you can use View>Footnotes to display the footnote area, with the insertion point next to the matching footnote. Because the V and F are accelerator keys, the keyboard shortcut for this, using standard menu navigation, is Alt+v followed by f. (Some of these legacy accelerators also work in Word 2007, but I haven't tested that one.)

If that approach does not give you sufficient precision, you probably could write a macro to "go to the nearest corresponding footnote" and assign a keyboard shortcut to it. However, I haven't tried to figure out how to do that.

Thanks
    [quote name='armsys' post='767135' date='24-Mar-2009 15:20']You can simply click the footnote and edit it, don't you? Why are you in need of a keyboard shortcut? I'm confused.[/quote]
    I'll throw in my 2 cents on that one: often it is faster to work with hands only on the keyboard rather than switching back and forth to the mouse.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='767156' date='25-Mar-2009 00:57']I'll throw in my 2 cents on that one: often it is faster to work with hands only on the keyboard rather than switching back and forth to the mouse.[/quote]
    I agree with you that it is faster to work with my hands. I have a document that has more than 200 footnotes and it is very hard for me to go back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse. I prefer to use the keyboard as much as I can. I might try to create a macro and see if it works. Thank you for your responses.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='vgarrim' post='767183' date='25-Mar-2009 10:28']I agree with you that it is faster to work with my hands. I have a document that has more than 200 footnotes and it is very hard for me to go back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse. I prefer to use the keyboard as much as I can. I might try to create a macro and see if it works. Thank you for your responses.[/quote]
    Have you tried splitting the window?
    Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    As mentioned higher up in this thread, Alt+V, F toggles between the main document and the footnoe area/pane, if the document contains at least one footnote.

You can assign another shortcut key to this command:
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Click Keyboard...
    - Make sure that Normal.dot is selected in the "Save changes in" dropdown.
    - Select View in the list of categories on the left.
    - Scroll down the list of commands on the right and select ViewFootnoteArea.
    - Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box.
    - Press the desired shortcut key
    - You could use Ctrl+Alt+G, for example (Ctrl+Alt+F inserts a new footnote)
    - Click Assign.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='767221' date='25-Mar-2009 10:18']As mentioned higher up in this thread, Alt+V, F toggles between the main document and the footnoe area/pane, if the document contains at least one footnote.

You can assign another shortcut key to this command:
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Click Keyboard...
    - Make sure that Normal.dot is selected in the "Save changes in" dropdown.
    - Select View in the list of categories on the left.
    - Scroll down the list of commands on the right and select ViewFootnoteArea.
    - Click in the "Press new shortcut key" box.
    - Press the desired shortcut key
    - You could use Ctrl+Alt+G, for example (Ctrl+Alt+F inserts a new footnote)
    - Click Assign.[/quote]
    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed.