4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all....I have an Excel file posted on a webpage.........when I click on it, it opens in Explorer...I want it to open in Excel.....is there a setting that I can change to make this happen? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmcnab' post='767103' date='24-Mar-2009 20:37']....I have an Excel file posted on a webpage........[/quote]

As a link to the file or embedded?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a link on the webpage to the file (I uploaded the actual file) but when it opens, it does so embedded in the browser

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmcnab' post='767109' date='24-Mar-2009 20:47']There is a link on the webpage to the file (I uploaded the actual file) but when it opens, it does so embedded in the browser[/quote]

A simple way to do this is post the link as a short cut like so

<a href = "data.xls.lnk>Click here to download</a>

Not very elegant but it will open the file in the Excel shell. If you have IE and Excel loaded on a PC it will open by default in IE.
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think I can do that Jezza.....I upload the file to a Sharepoint site....some users can click on it and it opens in Excel...others clikc the file and it opens in their browser (IE).....I can't help think that this is an IE settings issue..??..??

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='dmcnab' post='767115' date='24-Mar-2009 21:03']I don't think I can do that Jezza.....I upload the file to a Sharepoint site....some users can click on it and it opens in Excel...others clikc the file and it opens in their browser (IE).....I can't help think that this is an IE settings issue..??..??[/quote]

Arrh so different to what you originally asked. This appears not to be an Excel question but a Sharepoint question and the way it behaves with Excel files. Are all your users using Office 2003 as the minimum requirement?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry....yes, everyone is using Office 2003......we have a webpage with sections for different worksites. I have uploaded the same file in two locations on the webpage. Some users, inclduing me, clikc the excel file and it opens in excel....another user clicks the same file at a different link and it opens in her browser.....before you spendmore time with this, let me check with the webmaster to see if it is something in Sharepoint (hard to see that it is b/c the file responds the same for me, from either link and yet doesn't for another user)....I'll get back to you...thanks in the meantime

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It is not an IE setting but a Explorer setting:

1. Go to Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
    2. Click Tools and choose Folder Options
    3. Click on the File Types tab
    4. Find XLS
    5. Click on the Advanced Button
    6. In the Edit File Type deselect "Browse in same window" for the Edit or Open actions
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK...thanks for that....I checked on my computer and "Browse in same window" is actually checked, but it doesn't perform that way (browse in same window) but I will take a look at that part of it to see if that's the problem...thanks again.