Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Powershell 1.0 for Vista was made available today. It appears to be targeted at the high-tech crowd, but it might have some uses for we lesser types. Perhaps someone can bring us up to date on what it might be good for and whether or not it is worth downloading.

I have a lot of Windows Explorer errors that are apparently attributable to shell applications, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the sense of the word used here. (Shexview is the tiny free program designed to help fix them, in case others have the same problem.)

I think a thread on the possible uses of Powershell 1.0 is in order. I have nothing to contribute (so far) but the name Microsoft gave it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='767192' date='24-Mar-2009 22:40'][/quote]

From Windows PowerShell:

"Microsoft Windows PowerShell command line shell and scripting language helps IT professionals achieve greater control and productivity. Using a new admin-focused scripting language, more than 130 standard command line tools, and consistent syntax and utilities, Windows PowerShell allows IT professionals to more easily control system administration and accelerate automation. Windows PowerShell is easy to adopt, learn, and use, because it works with your existing IT infrastructure and existing script investments, and because it runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003. Windows PowerShell is now included as part of Windows Server 2008 and can be evaluated in Windows Server 2008 Beta 3. Exchange Server 2007, System Center Operations Manager 2007, System Center Data Protection Manager V2, and System Center Virtual Machine Manager also leverage Windows PowerShell to improve administrator control, efficiency, and productivity."

The above statement may be a little strong and scary to many users. I believe that Powershell will morph into the only command shell for Windows over time. Some people still call the command shell the "DOS prompt" although DOS does NOT exist in modern Windows. Unless you want to do scripting or batch runstreams you don't need to worry about Powershell.

If you try to install a Microsoft product that requires Powershell it will have you do the Powershell install first.

Joe
    Joe