5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a number of questions about an unbound report which contains two subreports which I hope loungers can help with.
    When the main report is run, the page headings belonging to the subreports do not appear. Is this the way things are or is there a way I can make them appear?
    How can I force the second subreport to start on a new page?
    How can I detect when the main report is finished processing the first subreport and is moving on to the second subreport?
    Thanks
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Pagination is controlled by the main report, so page headers and footers of a subreport aren't displayed - it wouldn't make sense. the report header and footer and group headers and footers of a subreport will be displayed though.

You can insert a page break control on the main report just above the second subreport to force it to a new page.

Depending on the structure of the report, both subreports may be processed many times, so it's not clear what your last question means.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for not being clear.
    First, how do I insert a page break into the report, please?

Re the last question.
    The report lists out i) all the people who are to be entered into a lottery draw and ii) all the people who have a lottery number which won't be entered in this draw because their financial contribution has run out. (These people haven't withdrawn from the lottery, but until their next payment is cleared, their lottery number is not entered into a draw.)

When run standalone, each subreport has headings to indentify the data columns in the detail section. Because the page headings won't come out when they are run as a subreport, I'm trying to solve the problem by putting the headings into the main report's page header, together with a label which identifies which subreport is being run. I want to alter - using VB - this label when the second subreport's data is formatted. So I am looking for some way to trigger an entry to a VB procedure so I can alter the label to show that.
    Hence the question about how I can determine when the second subreport 'starts'
    I hope that's a bit clearer!
    Thanks
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The page break control is a control just like a text box or an option button. It is available on the Toolbox:
    [attachment=83092:x.png]
    To insert a page break, click on the Page Break button on the Toolbox, then click in the report.

You can fake page headers in a subreport as follows:
    Open the subreport in design view.
    Activate the Sorting and Grouping window.
    In the first empty row, enter the dummy expression =1
    Set the Group Header property of this level to Yes.
    If necessary, drag this level to the top.
    Click the group header for =1 in the report.
    Set the Repeat Section property to Yes.
    Place the 'column header' labels in this group section.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (2.8 KB, 3 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is superb. Thanks very much - just what I wanted.
    Silverback

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans - forgot to include this in my last posting.

Can you explain what the =1 expression does, please?
    Thanks
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='silverback' post='767743' date='27-Mar-2009 13:32']Can you explain what the =1 expression does, please?[/quote]
    Nothing at all - it's a dummy expression only intended to add a group header (and/or footer). Since the expression always evaluates to the same value 1, there is only one group header. By setting the Repeat Section property of the group header to Yes, you can make it appear at the top of every page.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.
    Sorry for late response. PC has no internet connection at the moment. Having to do this at the local library!

By the way, am not getting any emails of your response. Don't know if this is a known error.
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not aware of problems with e-mails - are you sure that the check box "Enable email notification of replies?" was ticked?

Added later: there have been other reports of missing notifications, so we're looking into the problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='silverback' post='768231' date='30-Mar-2009 13:00']By the way, am not getting any emails of your response. Don't know if this is a known error.[/quote]
    The problems with the mail server appear to have been solved - I'm receiving notifications again. Let me know if you still don't get them.