4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a database that I use to keep track of attendees for various functions. Most of the people come from our general geographic area, which is about 10 different cities. There are times that I get a sign up from someone that is outside of our area.

Currently, I just have a text box in the attendees table, where I enter the city name. How can I set it up so that I can use a drop down list, but it will still allow me to enter a city that isn't in the list? The answer is probably out there, but I just couldn't seem to come up with the correct search terms. Thanks for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='767707' date='26-Mar-2009 21:31']I have a database that I use to keep track of attendees for various functions. Most of the people come from our general geographic area, which is about 10 different cities. There are times that I get a sign up from someone that is outside of our area.

Currently, I just have a text box in the attendees table, where I enter the city name. How can I set it up so that I can use a drop down list, but it will still allow me to enter a city that isn't in the list? The answer is probably out there, but I just couldn't seem to come up with the correct search terms. Thanks for your help.[/quote]
    The easiest way is to make it a combobox, with a rowsource something like this:

SELECT DISTINCT City FROM tblAttendees ORDER BY City

If you type a city already in list, it will fill-in for you as you type. If you type a city not in the list, then just put some code in the control's BeforeUPdate event, something like this:

If cboCity.ListIndex = -1 then
    if vbNo=Msgbox("Accept it anyway?",vbquestion+vbyesno,"Not in list!") then
    cancel=true
    exit sub
    end if
    end if

Oh yes, put a cboCity.Requery in the control's OnEnter event.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That works great. Thanks Mark.