3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for a system to host my photos along with a goodly amount of text. Basically it will be numerous articles about photography and the specific photographs. I also want a comment system to exchange information with readers.

What's important to me is that all the tools to manage the site be on the site. I know I could build my own site using my own software and hosting it, but I something that has limited tools but available right on the site is better for me since I don't always have access to my PC.

I've been using Google's Blogspot with unsatisfactory results. While it has some features (commenting and on-line editing), it is much too restricted in how the information is accessed (the only navigation feature is a backward timeline archive of posting). I've seen corporate intranet sites that do the trick, but I've seen no such thing available to the public.

So, anyone out there using such a system and can recommend it?

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767712' date='26-Mar-2009 18:48']I'm looking for a system to host my photos along with a goodly amount of text. Basically it will be numerous articles about photography and the specific photographs. I also want a comment system to exchange information with readers.[/quote]
    There are, of course, lots of photo sharing sites that support captions and comments. If you have not heard of pbase, you might check out its features. Here's a sample album with more than an average amount of text: http://www.pbase.com/boon3887/thailand

If you have a lot more story to tell, then perhaps that would not fit the bill. Problem is that most wiki and CMS software isn't quite as good with photos. I haven't been following the market very closely, and I know that popular platforms have thriving developer communities creating add-ons, so there might be just the right thing for one of them.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CMS Joomla will do all that you require and it is free. joomla.org

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gws' post='768318' date='31-Mar-2009 05:39']The CMS Joomla will do all that you require and it is free. joomla.org[/quote]

Joomla is one of a few options offered through the Fantastico Deluxe suite offered with many domain hosting services. It would pay to check out the other offerings (something that I have not got around to yet). But it implies that you have such a hosting service.

I don't think I understand how you will manage your gallery if you don't have always have access to your PC. How do you get your photos loaded? Or are you just needing to add the text component when you are in this situation?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767712' date='27-Mar-2009 02:48']I'm looking for a system to host my photos along with a goodly amount of text. Basically it will be numerous articles about photography and the specific photographs. I also want a comment system to exchange information with readers.

What's important to me is that all the tools to manage the site be on the site. I know I could build my own site using my own software and hosting it, but I something that has limited tools but available right on the site is better for me since I don't always have access to my PC.

I've been using Google's Blogspot with unsatisfactory results. While it has some features (commenting and on-line editing), it is much too restricted in how the information is accessed (the only navigation feature is a backward timeline archive of posting). I've seen corporate intranet sites that do the trick, but I've seen no such thing available to the public.

So, anyone out there using such a system and can recommend it?[/quote]
    How much is a "goodly amount" of text? I think Picasaweb (Google photos) gives you about 1024 characters for photo captions, and having had a quick look I couldn't find mention of any limit at Flickr. I don't think Picasaweb has the commenting feature you're after, so I'd try Flickr.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas so far, folks. I probably should not have mentioned photos since that seems to trigger the idea of photo hosting sites. I'm using Picasa and it, like PBase, is very good for displaying photos with captions. I'm looking for something quite different. Imagine an on-line magazine; lots of articles with images illustrating the scene or concept, links to internal and external resources, a table of contents, an index, etc. That is the sort of thing I'm aiming for. Being able to create it totally on line means I can update or create articles from any computer I happen to be on.

Joomla is certainly the most interesting so far, but it appears to be an application that must be downloaded - something I want to avoid.

I've been experimenting with blogspot with limited success and recognize that blog software just doesn't seem to cut it (for what it's worth jezsik.blogspot.com).

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='772718' date='28-Apr-2009 09:58']Joomla is certainly the most interesting so far, but it appears to be an application that must be downloaded - something I want to avoid.[/quote]
    Actually, many web hosts now offer a kind of online "control panel" from which you can install Joomla and other content management applications directly into your hosted web space. You may have to do software downloads later to maintain the application -- such as security patches -- but the initial setup just takes a few minutes. Depending on your needs and budget, you could consider one of the web hosts I use. I do not use Joomla now, although I did set it up once because a friend was interested in using it. See Joomla Hosting - WestHost Content Management System (CMS) and 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, what you're after is definitely a content management system then. I also recommend Joomla as it's the one that I'm most familiar with, but there are plenty of others out there too. Might be worth having a look around, a lot of them have online videos or demonstrations that you can play with to help you choose. Wikipedia has a good list of CMSs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conte...agement_systems

Note that the CMS and the hosting of the CMS are two different things. A lot of the CMS software is free, but unless you want adverts all over your website you'll need to pay for hosting. The requirements for which host to choose are dependent on which CMS you go for (or vice versa - you'll need to choose a CMS that works with your hosting package). There are a number of hosts out there that will give you webspace with Joomla already installed - search for "Joomla hosting" and see what pops up. As with any of these things, read the small print carefully and look around for some independent reviews too.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.