2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of my clients is revamping the way in which security is handled in a fairly old database. Previously, the names were anonymous; e.g. roastuser1, roastuser2, roastmanager, etc. (the company is a function caterer!). The names were associated with workstations in a call centre, but obvioulsy this is relatively insecure as everyone new all the passwords, depending upon which terminal they sat down at to work. Now, he wants to use the real user names, and each terminal will have its own copy of the application and the workstation will be identified by a reference in the autoexec(0 function.

The workgroup file has a few oddities and I would appreciate a word or two of advice to make sure I don't do anything catastrophic in editing the lists of users and groups.

First, a general question. I presume that it is OK to delete empty workgroups other than those with a meaning to the system, such as Users, Owners, Admins and so forth. Similarly, is it OK to delete users who are not part of any workgroup. This suggests another question. can a user log into the system without being a member of a group ?

These somewhat odd questions arise from a couple of user names I have never seen before; namely Creator and Engine. they look very official and do not belong to any group. Has anybody seen these before and are they meaningful to the system.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jim_from_oz' post='767713' date='27-Mar-2009 02:49']First, a general question. I presume that it is OK to delete empty workgroups other than those with a meaning to the system, such as Users, Owners, Admins and so forth. Similarly, is it OK to delete users who are not part of any workgroup. This suggests another question. can a user log into the system without being a member of a group ?

These somewhat odd questions arise from a couple of user names I have never seen before; namely Creator and Engine. they look very official and do not belong to any group. Has anybody seen these before and are they meaningful to the system.[/quote]
    - It's OK to delete empty workgroups.
    - A user is always member of Users. So you don't have users that are not part of any workgroup.
    - You can't log into the system without being a member of a group as a user is always member of Users.
    - [s]I've never seen the users Creator and Engine[/s]

Added later :
    I found this article : Users and Groups
    "Microsoft Jet also creates two accounts, Creator and Engine, that are used internally. These accounts are not accessible by users."
    Francois

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Merci, Francois, pour votre reponse !

I can still read French quite well, but I do not trust my conversational abilities any more, so I will leave it at that. The article was extremely useful and I have drawn the attention of my client's other techies to its contents. Actually, it was all much as I had expected, but one canot be too careful as it is all too easy to lock everyone out of an Access database.