New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a D-Link card to connect. I never had problems before - wherever I am, XP finds the signal and "connect"s just fine. At a friend's house, it found the signal, but couldn't connect - something about the acquiring IP address - it just searched and searched. I had the right security/keycode, by the way. Once in a while the bars (near the clock) would flash green for a second, then back to white. Thought maybe I could enter the IP (from her system) manually, but the window on mine asked for alot more info (numbers or codes?) than I had or was comfortable messing with. I know very little about all this - I guess I've been lucky to be able to connect everywhere else with no problem. My only other idea is to cable connect.... Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='misterray703' post='767752' date='27-Mar-2009 08:43'][/quote]

You need to check her router setup to make sure that she has not limited the IP address range that can be assigned.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='misterray703' post='767752' date='27-Mar-2009 13:43']... - something about the acquiring IP address - ....[/quote]
    That sounds like DHCP - are you sure your PC and the router you are trying to connect to are both set up for DHCP?

Thought maybe I could enter the IP (from her system) manually...
    The router shouldn't let you connect with the same IP address as another PC.

Do you have the make and model of the router you are trying to connect to?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='misterray703' post='767752' date='27-Mar-2009 09:43']I use a D-Link card to connect. I never had problems before - wherever I am, XP finds the signal and "connect"s just fine. At a friend's house, it found the signal, but couldn't connect - something about the acquiring IP address - it just searched and searched. I had the right security/keycode, by the way. Once in a while the bars (near the clock) would flash green for a second, then back to white. Thought maybe I could enter the IP (from her system) manually, but the window on mine asked for alot more info (numbers or codes?) than I had or was comfortable messing with. I know very little about all this - I guess I've been lucky to be able to connect everywhere else with no problem. My only other idea is to cable connect.... Thanks![/quote]
    She hasn't blocked her router from outside MAC addresses perhaps? I'd forgotten I did that when my daughter wanted to connected. After I added her MAC address to my router admin page, she was able to find the signal and connect without any problems. Just my

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='767869' date='27-Mar-2009 17:57']She hasn't blocked her router from outside MAC addresses perhaps? I'd forgotten I did that when my daughter wanted to connected. After I added her MAC address to my router admin page, she was able to find the signal and connect without any problems. Just my [/quote]
    Just a note for others who might block / allow by MAC address, the device I have at home (sorry, can't recall the make / model at the moment) is setup to allow to specific MAC addresses. There is however a catch - although it's not specified, the router also blocks an allowed MAC address *if* the computer name has been changed. To correct that, I've had to connect via another PC (or by cable) and re-allow the MAC address.
    Christopher Baldrey