4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Word 2002. I have a large normal.dot that has become corrupted so I decided to spend a few hours rebuilding it. I have Word store it in D:\Templates so I switched to that subdirectory and renamed it to Normal.Old and started Word. Word did not create a normal.dot. There was not one while Word was running and not one when Word closed.

Next, I started Word and changed the default page margins since this requires Word to modify normal.dot. Those margins stayed in place for the session but were gone when I closed Word and restarted it. Again, no normal.dot file was created.

Next, I started the Windows search function to search both my hard drives for normal.dot not just D:\Templates. No luck.

Finally, I took one of the built in templates and copied it to D:\Templates and renamed it to Normal.dot and started Word. It read the new template as normal.dot and configured itself accordingly. However, when I left Word, none of the global changes I made were saved to the new normal.dot file.

I have gone back to my old normal.dot file. I had assumed it was corrupted because I could not write changes to it. However, it now appears that I simply cannot write changes to normal.dot.

I have searched the web and have found all kinds of hits related to normal.dot but none describing this particular problem. Any suggestions?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that the default location for the normal template is NOT in D:\Templates. Word's default templat location is usually somewhere like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Chuck Tucker' post='767836' date='27-Mar-2009 21:12']I believe that the default location for the normal template is NOT in D:\Templates. Word's default templat location is usually somewhere like:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates[/quote]
    You're correct. The user can change this location though:
    - In Word, select Tools | Options...
    - Activate the File Locations tab.
    - The User Templates path is the one used by Word for Normal.dot.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you click on Tools/Options/File Location, you can tell Word to store normal.dot anywhere you want.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    [quote name='Ronny' post='767812' date='27-Mar-2009 11:23']... It read the new template as normal.dot and configured itself accordingly. However, when I left Word, none of the global changes I made were saved to the new normal.dot file.[/quote]
    You should work through Phil's post, but also be suspicious of certain add-ins that may mark the Normal template as unchanged for your convenience (so that temporary changes they make do not trigger annoying prompts to save the template). I think it's possible that PDFMaker does that.

Also, for future reference, you can immediately "force save" changes to Normal.dot by holding the Shift key when clicking the File menu. Then "Save" changes to "Save All", which will save changes to all open documents, all attached templates, and Normal.dot.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='767892' date='27-Mar-2009 19:26']You should work through Phil's post, but also be suspicious of certain add-ins that may mark the Normal template as unchanged for your convenience (so that temporary changes they make do not trigger annoying prompts to save the template). I think it's possible that PDFMaker does that.

Also, for future reference, you can immediately "force save" changes to Normal.dot by holding the Shift key when clicking the File menu. Then "Save" changes to "Save All", which will save changes to all open documents, all attached templates, and Normal.dot.[/quote]

Thanks. This does cause Word to save normal.dot in the D:\Templates subdirectory.
    Ronny Richardson