4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm writing a document that includes some equations. I'm using Word 2003 SP3 with Equation Editor 3.0.

In a few cases the spacing of text in an equation is displayed incorrectly. For example, this...
    300 records/minute 80 minutes
    ...looks like this:
    300 records/mi nute 80 mi nutes
    When I select an equation for editing the problem goes away. When I deselect it the problem comes back.

At first I thought the E.E. was creating problems by trying to be clever: automatically putting a word space after a string of letters that it interpreted as a unit or reserved word ("minutes" becomes "mi nutes" because "mi" is "miles"; "single" becomes "sin gle" because "sin" is a trigonometric function). Then I realized that this is a display problem only: when I print a page, it comes out correctly.

Different fonts seem to mess up the spacing in different places. Some don't mess it up at all -- or perhaps they mess it up in cases that happen not to occur in my equations.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a solution?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='jsachs177' post='767828' date='28-Mar-2009 06:35']I'm writing a document that includes some equations. I'm using Word 2003 SP3 with Equation Editor 3.0.

In a few cases the spacing of text in an equation is displayed incorrectly. For example, this...
    300 records/minute 80 minutes
    ...looks like this:
    300 records/mi nute 80 mi nutes
    When I select an equation for editing the problem goes away. When I deselect it the problem comes back.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a solution?[/quote]
    Hi jsachs,

This may not be a Word/Equation Editor problem, per se. I don't appear to have the same issue on my system. Have you checked that your system has the latest display drivers?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it related to the typeface used? If you change the typeface do you have the same problem?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Neither could I duplicate the anomaly here. Have you looked up formatting markers (ctrl+Shift+8) and the styles? Could "i" or "n" be set a to Unicode/double-byte character? How about clearing all formattings?
    Armstrong

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This happens when you do not format the text as text. (Style/Text in Equation Editor.) The EE is trying to convert your text to meaningful math since it's not formatted as text.

You can also get these strange spacings when you drag the equation in Word to size it and you get it out-of-scale.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson