New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi.

I hope I can explain this correctly.
    I am making a database which collects information about medical patients presenting with infections.
    Some of those patients end up going to intensive care.
    If that happens I want to record certain ITU specific facts about them.

At the moment I basically have one big form which i collect all the data on to.It has a section for the ITU data which I obviously only fill in if relevant.
    however this makes the data collection form unwieldly as this section only apples to a few people.

what i rely want is 2 forms. one for the main body and 1 that i fill in just for the relevant people. but i dont want to get to a relevant person and then have to minimize the first form to to fill in the second one.

So what I really want is some kind of button on Form A that brings up Form B and prompts me to fill it in for that particular individual.

hope that makes sense and that someone can help

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would suggest you consider using a Tab Control - if you are using Access 2000 or later it is one of the controls available in the toolbox. You can put certain general information outside the tab control, and any details not related to ITU data on the first page of the tab control, and the ITU data on the second page. You could actually hide the second page until it is needed by putting a button or a check box for admitted to Intensive Care.

You could also have a pop-up form for ITU, but it would require that you have a number of duplicate fields on both forms. I gather you have a single table where all this data is stored. Do you have any repetitive quantitative data such as blood pressure, temperature, blood chemistry, etc? If you do you may want to create a separate table for that sort of data with a datetime stamp as to when the data was collected. In that case you might want to use a subform instead of a tab control.

This will probably generate several questions so feel free to post back and we will do our best to help.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='767838' date='27-Mar-2009 21:16']I would suggest you consider using a Tab Control - if you are using Access 2000 or later it is one of the controls available in the toolbox.[/quote]
    Although it's probably not relevant - the tab control was introduced in Access 97.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    wow!

Ok.
    So I am not currently collecting multiple repeats of blood pressure etc as we are looking at "initial presentation' - but the idea that we could incorporate that is very interesting.

Let me describe my dream database.

Page 1:
    Patients presenting Status and overall outcome e.g Survival and length of stay - AIM: Key overall page for describing how patients are on arrival to emergency department and outcomes
    Page 2:
    Set of clinical features e.g Blood Pressure, White Cell Count - AIM: To monitor what features worsen/improve during inpatient stay - Data here would need to be date/time stamped
    Page 3:
    Microbiology/Antibiotic and test information - e.g results of different blood/urine cultures - AIM: To collate information on causative organisms, chest x-rays etc. - Data here would need to be date/time stamped so it could be related to information on page 2
    Page 4:
    To be filled in if admitted to ITU - AIM to record specific ITU related questions e.g requirements for ventilation, cardiac support etc.

I realise I am now asking for someone to explain how to build something like this....

I know how to create the individual forms obviously, but it is linking them all together that I don't know how to do.
    I tried to attach a mock version with a central table and 4 forms each containing an example of the kind of information I would collect on to each 'page' but it says i do not have permission?

Michael

[quote name='WendellB' post='767838' date='27-Mar-2009 20:16']I would suggest you consider using a Tab Control - if you are using Access 2000 or later it is one of the controls available in the toolbox. You can put certain general information outside the tab control, and any details not related to ITU data on the first page of the tab control, and the ITU data on the second page. You could actually hide the second page until it is needed by putting a button or a check box for admitted to Intensive Care.

You could also have a pop-up form for ITU, but it would require that you have a number of duplicate fields on both forms. I gather you have a single table where all this data is stored. Do you have any repetitive quantitative data such as blood pressure, temperature, blood chemistry, etc? If you do you may want to create a separate table for that sort of data with a datetime stamp as to when the data was collected. In that case you might want to use a subform instead of a tab control.

This will probably generate several questions so feel free to post back and we will do our best to help.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You'd use at least 3 tables:
    • A Patients table to record general data about the patient. Primary key: PatientID (an AutoNumber field, or perhaps the patient number your hospital uses).
    • A Clinical Features table. Primary key: the combination of PatientID and a date/time field.
    • A Test Results table. Primary key: the combination of PatientID and a date/time field.
    If you want to timestamp ITU data, you'd use a separate ITU table too.

To enter and view data, you could use a main form based on the Patients table, with a tab control with 4 tab pages.
    • The first tab page would contain the general data about the patient.
    • The second tab would contain a subform based on the Clinical Features table, linked to the main form on PatientID.
    • The third tab would contain a subform based on the Test Results table, linked to the main form on PatientID.
    • The fourth tab would either contain fields from the Patients table relating to ITU, or a subform based on the ITU table if you have one.
    You can't attach Access databases directly, you have to zip them and attach the zip file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow.
    I'm a bit of a novice at access but am very familiar with office in general so will hopefully pick these things up quite fast.
    A few questions

1) How do i set a primary key to be a combination of PatientID and a date/time field? (I normally just allow access to autonumber for my primary key)
    2)is setting up tabbed-forms fairly self explanatory? are there any key points to understand?

Many thanks

Michael

[quote name='HansV' post='767864' date='27-Mar-2009 21:53']You'd use at least 3 tables:
    • A Patients table to record general data about the patient. Primary key: PatientID (an AutoNumber field, or perhaps the patient number your hospital uses).
    • A Clinical Features table. Primary key: the combination of PatientID and a date/time field.
    • A Test Results table. Primary key: the combination of PatientID and a date/time field.
    If you want to timestamp ITU data, you'd use a separate ITU table too.

To enter and view data, you could use a main form based on the Patients table, with a tab control with 4 tab pages.
    • The first tab page would contain the general data about the patient.
    • The second tab would contain a subform based on the Clinical Features table, linked to the main form on PatientID.
    • The third tab would contain a subform based on the Test Results table, linked to the main form on PatientID.
    • The fourth tab would either contain fields from the Patients table relating to ITU, or a subform based on the ITU table if you have one.
    You can't attach Access databases directly, you have to zip them and attach the zip file.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    1) How do i set a primary key to be a combination of PatientID and a date/time field? (I normally just allow access to autonumber for my primary key)

The easiest way is to select both fields in the design view of the table (you can Ctrl+click on the gray button to the left of the field name to select/deselect more than one field), then click the Primary Key button on the toolbar.

2) Is setting up tabbed-forms fairly self explanatory? are there any key points to understand?

A tab control isn't hard to set up - see the Access Tutorial: Tab Control in Access 2003/XP/2000/97 (it consists of 8 steps)