3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was in Holland for a few months back at the start of the century. The TV picked up BBC so I tuned in. One show, in particular, really grabbed my attention, but I don't remember the name. Maybe one of the eclectic geniuses here can tell me what it was.

The show is about a young man who gets ahead in life by lying, cheating and taking credit for the work of others (usually his staff). The setting in an office. The fellow has two key people working for him: a slightly pudgy young male intern and an Indian woman. The guy's boss, an older man, is equally horrible. The anti-hero gets himself into all sorts of predicaments that should have been the end for mere mortals; yet, though sheer luck, manages to come put shining. The show is terribly politically incorrect.

I've gone through the list of BBC sitcoms, but none of them ring a bell. To the best of my knowledge, there were only two seasons of the show so it may not even be available on DVD, but I'd still like to find out more about it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767844' date='28-Mar-2009 03:34']I was in Holland for a few months back at the start of the century. The TV picked up BBC so I tuned in. One show, in particular, really grabbed my attention, but I don't remember the name. Maybe one of the eclectic geniuses here can tell me what it was.

The show is about a young man who gets ahead in life by lying, cheating and taking credit for the work of others (usually his staff). The setting in an office. The fellow has two key people working for him: a slightly pudgy young male intern and an Indian woman. The guy's boss, an older man, is equally horrible. The anti-hero gets himself into all sorts of predicaments that should have been the end for mere mortals; yet, though sheer luck, manages to come put shining. The show is terribly politically incorrect.

I've gone through the list of BBC sitcoms, but none of them ring a bell. To the best of my knowledge, there were only two seasons of the show so it may not even be available on DVD, but I'd still like to find out more about it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?[/quote]

Sorry I can't help you with finding the TV show you are looking for but I did feel real ancient when you stated "back at the start of the century".

Was I really born in the last century?
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it does ring a bell - a rather short-lived season in Australia - but the name eludes me. All I can suggest is a sequential search through BBC - Comedy - Comedy Archive to see if anything hits a neuron.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767844' date='27-Mar-2009 20:34']The show is about a young man who gets ahead in life by lying, cheating and taking credit for the work of others (usually his staff). The setting in an office. The fellow has two key people working for him... The guy's boss, an older man, is equally horrible. The anti-hero gets himself into all sorts of predicaments that should have been the end for mere mortals; yet, though sheer luck, manages to come put shining. The show is terribly politically incorrect.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?[/quote]
    What do you want to know more about the place where I work?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You know, when I describe the show to my television watching acquaintances, I usually preface the whole thing by saying "It's not The Office!" While I thoroughly enjoy that mockumentary about a middle-age manager and his bewildered staff, it's just not the sort of belly-laugh-inducing humor elicited by the situation comedy show I'm looking for (even if the year and number of seasons closely match). The anti-hero of the show I'm seeking comes out smelling like a rose at the end of each episode, while David Brent comes off more like a stinking corpse lily (but still manages to hang on to his job).

One episode involves a key employee learning that he did not go to the prestigious college he claimed on his resume. She overhears a boss discussing how the school invited the boss to speak (or something) and the employee suggests that maybe the anti-hero should make the speech - seeing as he was an old boy. The boss agrees and anti-hero is painted into a corner. Somehow, at the end of the show after his speech, the boys are carrying the anti-hero on their shoulders, cheering and the employee stands there, totally bewildered as to what just happened.

To give you an idea of as to the sort of humor, the anti-hero is in the boss's office. The old guy is telling him about the new, um, performance enhancement drug he'd recently acquired. He admits to taking one and and claims "Why, I have the e***tion of a seventeen year old!"

To which our anti-hero quips "Well, let's hope he doesn't want it back!"

I've gone through the whole list of BBC comedies and still can't pick it out.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The internet is so saturated with references to "The Office" I doubt you'll ever be able to filter off the initial 10000000000 search hits to get to the one you're looking for. I know the series you mean and will post it up if I ever happen to stumble on it by non-internet means.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not write to the BBC and ask them, or is that not permissible?

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767960' date='28-Mar-2009 13:36'][/quote]
    You could wade through

and see if anything looks familiar...

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezsik' post='767960' date='28-Mar-2009 13:36']... One episode involves a key employee learning that he did not go to the prestigious college he claimed on his resumé...[/quote]
    If it really referred to college and resumé then it wasn't a British show, for the correct UK terms are university and CV (the initials of curriculum vitae)!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The only other office based sitcom I can think of is The Smoking Room
    Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PERFECT WORLD!

I tried the British Comedy Guide, but there are simply WAY too many entries. The forum there, however, was the solution. I received an answer to my query within thirty minutes.

For those who may be curious, I pulled this from Amazon UK:

Without ever being truly hilarious Perfect World is one of the funniest and crudest comedies to come out of British television in the 1990s. To his colleagues, marketing executive Bob Slay (Paul Kaye) is a workshy lying parasite, but as far as he's concerned he lives in a Perfect World. He has a beautiful supermodel girlfriend, Lauren (Tasha de Vasconcelos) and outraging herbillionaire parents only results in her being more X-rated in bed. He has a well-paid job in an office where he never does a stroke of work, and the support of the barking mad marketing director (played with barnstorming vulgarity by Michael Cochrane). Derren Litten is fine in the thankless role of Vaughan, honest, hardworking wage-slave and endless foil to Slay's ever more outrageous lies. Nina Wadia is outstanding as Maggie, regular subject of Bob's cruel jibes about her weight, but always ready with an equally stinging retort. Paul Kaye himself is superb as a deeply insecure character without a single redeeming feature, a comic monster in the tradition of Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder and Rik Mayall's New Statesman. Stylish, clever and audaciously rude, together with Coupling (2000), Perfect World put the spark back in BBC comedy. --Gary S Dalkin