3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using my Canoscan 8400F scanner quite a bit over the past 3+ years (see Post 511359 BigAl will remember that thread <g>) and now it has started to act up.
    1. When it starts up to scan it used to 'calibrate' in seconds, now it seems to take over 3 minutes before it gets to the 'scan selection screen' - ugh.
    2. When it does scan, the resulting .tif shows very dark edges, yellow grain, really poor graphics.
    Stats:
    Six months ago I switched the unit from XP to a Vista laptop - been working great up until now.
    Vista machine, 3 megs ram, updated scan drivers for vista installed, plenty of hard drive space. Connects via it's Usb cord.
    I am suspecting the scan bulb - but am not sure what lifetime can be expected of these things.
    Could be the USB cord? But what would cause this to go south when there is literally no movement - it hangs on a hook 2 feet from the scanner and the laptop so basically I just pick it up and plug into the laptop, turn on the scanner and scan away (when it works).
    Checked the Canon site, and not much referred to my problem, other than call support for an ra number and send it in. (By now it's way past warranty).
    While on amazon I notice that Canon had an Canon LiDE100 Color Image Scanner for sale at $59.00 - considerably less than the 8400F - depending on the cost for repair this might be an option for me.
    Still, just over 3 years isn't that old for a scanning unit <sigh>.
    Just looking for options here, thanks all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='767945' date='28-Mar-2009 07:41']... BigAl will remember that thread ...[/quote]
    Ahh, well I do remember! My unit is not too much "younger" than yours but from what you've said I suspect mine has had a lot less use than yours. I last used it a week ago to scan a couple of things. However, it does look like yours is suffering and I don't have an answer for you. I don't even know how much bulbs cost or if it's difficult to replace them.

The only two things I can tell you, which don't help you any, is that mine still makes very good scans and the time to first "preview" screen is about 18-20 seconds. I use the toolbox most of the time, but on occasion go directly from inside PSP. I can only wish you luck in your quest, Bob!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='bleduc' post='767945' date='28-Mar-2009 06:41'][/quote]

Found this page - How to Clean a Canon 8400F scanner. Maybe it will help.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='767995' date='28-Mar-2009 12:51'][/quote]
    Thanks for that link Joe, I hadn't realized how involved it was to get into this little beast <g>. And you might be onto something here, the graphics shown are very similar to what my last scan looked like - I'll need to schedule some time for disassembly and cleaning as described on that link. I am in hopes that the long time to calibrate might also be related to dirty lens.
    I'll keep you all informed - as I find time to dive into this.
    Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='768083' date='29-Mar-2009 06:26'][/quote]

You're welcome. It did look somewhat involved. Good luck.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='767995' date='28-Mar-2009 12:51']Found this page - How to Clean a Canon 8400F scanner. Maybe it will help.[/quote]
    [highlight=yellow]EUREKA! ! ! WAY-TO-GO JOE! ! ![/highlight]
    Had a scheduled day off from work, so this morning was it, time to get the Phillips and Flat screwdrivers out (all that was needed besides paper towels) and have a go at dismantling and cleaning the inside mirrors and scan bar from this Canon 8400F scanner.
    With my many thumbs and awkward fingers it did take me about 35 minutes to complete, but now - W.O.W. she actually seems to work like new. Calibration was zippy and no weird color tinge to the scan.
    I've decided to apply the Hard Drive Philosophy to my scanner as well, [highlight=pink]it's not IF it will get dirty, it's WHEN...[/highlight].
    I must admit I had my doubts though, while cleaning the lens and mirrors my paper towel showed no sign of dirt, nothing, nada..
    But.. After re-assembling and testing the unit - man did it make a difference.
    Big Al - I know you have the same scanner, and while I may have used mine more than you used yours, this is a mighty helpful link to print the 5 pages and keep aside - I'm certain you will need it at some point in time.
    Joe - a BIG thanks, and don't ever stop your searching and supplying links - This one did make a difference.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='769057' date='03-Apr-2009 09:11'][/quote]

That's terrific!!! Really glad it worked out. Nice when a little effort saves an expenditure (especially during these times). Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='769057' date='03-Apr-2009 10:11']I've decided to apply the Hard Drive Philosophy to my scanner as well[/quote]
    Way Ta Go, "Other Bob!"

I will take your advice and print out that tutorial!

Edited by Big Al to add:

Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='769057' date='03-Apr-2009 15:11']I must admit I had my doubts though, while cleaning the lens and mirrors my paper towel showed no sign of dirt, nothing, nada..[/quote]
    What colour was your paper towel? A lot of the 'dirt' will be paper dust and it only needs to be a pixel wide to cause a problem!

Glad to hear you were successful, it's certainly something to remember for the future

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='769073' date='03-Apr-2009 11:46']What colour was your paper towel?[/quote]
    I see where you are going with this Leif, I used a plain ole white paper towel, yet 'dirt' to a scanner mirror might just as well have been 'white paper dust' as anything else which would not be very noticeable on a white paper towel.
    Anyhow, all's well that ends well <g> This time.