Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I went looking for some math symbols, like "pi", and the keycode shows as [03C0, Alt-X ] -- no brackets.

But I do not see how to type this in. I've tried it every way but the right way!

I'm using Times New Roman as my font in Word.

Am I reading something wrong here?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Type 03C0 (or even 3C0) into your document, and then, without moving the insertion point, press Alt+X (that is, hold down the left Alt key, press and release the X key, then release the Alt key).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='768041' date='28-Mar-2009 22:27']I went looking for some math symbols, like "pi", and the keycode shows as [03C0, Alt-X ] -- no brackets.[/quote]
    Chuck,

This looks like a continuation of the discussion that includes Post 767417, why did you start a new post?

To insert this symbol you type 03c0 into your document, and then with the cursor immediately after the final 0 you press and hold the Alt key and type X.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='768043' date='28-Mar-2009 15:38']Chuck,

This looks like a continuation of the discussion that includes Post 767417, why did you start a new post?

To insert this symbol you type 03c0 into your document, and then with the cursor immediately after the final 0 you press and hold the Alt key and type X.[/quote]

Sorry guys...

OK, I'll try it again...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='768043' date='28-Mar-2009 15:38']Chuck,

To insert this symbol you type 03c0 into your document, and then with the cursor immediately after the final 0 you press and hold the Alt key and type X.[/quote]

OK, Attached is the Word (2003) document that I put 03c0 Alt-X into.

It showed "pi" to start with, but then, hitting the space bar or any other key it changed to what is showing now.

How do you (I) keep the symbol as originally inserted to stay?

Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='768050' date='28-Mar-2009 23:57']OK, Attached is the Word (2003) document that I put 03c0 Alt-X into.

It showed "pi" to start with, but then, hitting the space bar or any other key it changed to what is showing now.

How do you (I) keep the symbol as originally inserted to stay?

Chuck[/quote]

...and the attachment ?
    Jerry

Thanks
    [quote name='Jezza' post='768052' date='28-Mar-2009 17:05']...and the attachment ?[/quote]

Um...duh....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='768050' date='28-Mar-2009 16:57']It showed "pi" to start with, but then, hitting the space bar or any other key it changed to what is showing now.[/quote]
    Is that a "capital pi"? Try it again. After pressing space, if you immediately press Ctrl-Z, does Word undo the change? If so, that would suggest that AutoCorrect or AutoFormat As You Type is kicking in. I'm not sure why they would care about pi, though...

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='768056' date='28-Mar-2009 18:09']Is that a "capital pi"? Try it again. After pressing space, if you immediately press Ctrl-Z, does Word undo the change? If so, that would suggest that AutoCorrect or AutoFormat As You Type is kicking in. I'm not sure why they would care about pi, though...[/quote]

Jefferson:

I don't understand the "capital pi", but...

You are right. If I press 03c0 then Alt-X I get pi. Then if I press, any key (space bar?), it reverts to what was on the attachemnt; then iof I press Ctrl-Z, pi comes back.

I'm not at all clear on the "why", even though I [sort of] understand the "how", but it worked, which is what I was after.

Will I then, if I want to add a key sequence to a hetkey, duplicate that for all special characters? If so, ...why...? If not, ...why...?

Confused but grateful,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The character in your document is the upper case version of the Greek letter pi.

As Jefferson indicated, this is caused by AutoCorrect: Word automatically changes the letter at the beginning of a sentence to upper case. For example, If you start typing

good morning

in a new sentence (which is always the case in a new document), Word will change it to

Good morning

the moment you type the space after "good". So when you type a space after the lower case π , Word will change it to an upper case Π. Ctrl+Z undoes this (it always undoes the most recent action, which is the change from lower case to upper case here).

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='768068' date='29-Mar-2009 00:06']The character in your document is the upper case version of the Greek letter pi.

As Jefferson indicated, this is caused by AutoCorrect: Word automatically changes the letter at the beginning of a sentence to upper case. For example, If you start typing

good morning

in a new sentence (which is always the case in a new document), Word will change it to

Good morning

the moment you type the space after "good". So when you type a space after the lower case π , Word will change it to an upper case Π. Ctrl+Z undoes this (it always undoes the most recent action, which is the change from lower case to upper case here).[/quote]

Ah...Thanks Hans...

I'm a bit slow evidently...

What I need to do then is either turn off that Auto Cap item, or just be careful!

Thanks,
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that you've found the ASCII way to insert the character for Pi, have you considered highlighting it and using AutoCorrect so you won't have to remember the code?
    Barbara<div align='center'></div>

Thanks
    [quote name='novice' post='768132' date='29-Mar-2009 12:12']Now that you've found the ASCII way to insert the character for Pi, have you considered highlighting it and using AutoCorrect so you won't have to remember the code?[/quote]

As a matter of fact, yes, although it only works in Word, and not in pure ASCII code. At the same time I set up sqared (2) and cubed. But I can't take the credit for pi... I found it [finally] when I was rooting around lookng for square root:

\pi for pi
    \sqrt for square root
    0178 for superscript squared
    0179 for superswcript cubed

if anyone else is interested.

What often happens to me is that I find these answersw (or this board [graciously] does so for me, and then I lose track of the darn thing(s).

I need a better notating system, for sure!

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='768133' date='29-Mar-2009 12:23']I found it [finally] when I was rooting around lookng for square root:

\pi for pi
    \sqrt for square root
    0178 for superscript squared
    0179 for superswcript cubed[/quote]
    How do you use those? You assigned AutoCorrect entries to them to convert them to the character you want?

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='768150' date='29-Mar-2009 13:40']How do you use those? You assigned AutoCorrect entries to them to convert them to the character you want?[/quote]

Jefferson:

I actually haven't totally decided how I should do it so that I would keep my poor brain from losing them again!

They all work directly (Alt + whatever, or "\" and the numbers) but I'm right now needing them enough that I may just merge them into AutoComplete, along with the 'Section" symbol and a couple others. Or, as I use a keyboard macro program, I might do them through there instead, keeping all my key-coding centralized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast