Thanks
    If I am writing an e-mail, and I click to "To" button and select a name from the list, the "Display As" is what shows in the "To" field.

If however, I open up a contact and click the "E-mail" button, what shows is the "Display As" followed by the e-mail address.

Is there something I have turned on (or off) that should be the other way to disable the name followed by the e-mail address?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never found a way to influence this behavior, so I've stopped worrying about it...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that the NK2 file is not up to date with the Contacts.
    The contact may have been changed but, you are still seeing the entry in the NK2 file

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='768102' date='29-Mar-2009 08:38']I think that the NK2 file is not up to date with the Contacts.
    The contact may have been changed but, you are still seeing the entry in the NK2 file[/quote]

Dave, what IS the NK2 file, and how can I "fix" it?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='768102' date='29-Mar-2009 08:38']I think that the NK2 file is not up to date with the Contacts.
    The contact may have been changed but, you are still seeing the entry in the NK2 file[/quote]

Dave, I found the file...

I tried delting it (renaming), restoring an older copy... nada.

AAMOF, I went to a contact with more than one email, and when I hit the "Email" button, it put ALL the names and email addresses in the "To".

I think that button is faulty!

Regards,
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Permit me to reopen this old thread...

I grew up learning it was bad form to expose email addresses in a header, so I've always found it more than a bit annoying that the "We know what's best for you" team in Redmond insisted on appending the email address to the contact "display as" field by default. I spent who knows how much time removing the email address from the field whenever I added a new contact to Outlook 2003.

Well, I've recently upgraded, if you can call it that, to Office 2007, and I've discovered that in the transition Outlook has merrily gone ahead and reappended all the email addresses to the "display as" fields again!

Does anyone know of an automated way to remove these unwanted and unnecessary display email addresses? I'd write my own macro, but I haven't got the time to start learning the vagaries of the Outlook object model. And I have around 1,300 contacts, so this is not something I want to undertake manually. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig Onfile' post='792366 View Post
    Does anyone know of an automated way to remove these unwanted and unnecessary display email addresses? I'd write my own macro, but I haven't got the time to start learning the vagaries of the Outlook object model. And I have around 1,300 contacts, so this is not something I want to undertake manually.
    I'm surprised because I don't think the data file format changed between Outlook 2003 and 2007, so I don't know why your Contact records would be edited. Yes, I'm sure it's possible to write a macro to edit the display names for Contacts. I posted one in 2003, which obviously was never tested in Outlook 2007: Hiding email addresses (2002/XP SP-2). It looks for email addresses to begin with a left angle bracket, which may or may not match the pattern in your Contacts folder. Edit and run with caution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='792473' date='07-Sep-2009 18:04']Is it bad form? I think it helps avoid errors, but maybe that's just me.[/quote]

I believe there is a privacy vulnerability in needlessly exposing those email addresses, but I'm willing to be re-educated.

I'm surprised because I don't think the data file format changed between Outlook 2003 and 2007, so I don't know why your Contact records would be edited. Yes, I'm sure it's possible to write a macro to edit the display names for Contacts. I posted one in 2003, which obviously was never tested in Outlook 2007: Hiding email addresses (2002/XP SP-2). It looks for email addresses to begin with a left angle bracket, which may or may not match the pattern in your Contacts folder. Edit and run with caution.
    I'll have a look at your macro, but probably not before the weekend at best. Regardless, when I do have results I'll report them here. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    [quote name='Sig Onfile' post='792641' date='08-Sep-2009 22:18']I believe there is a privacy vulnerability in needlessly exposing those email addresses, but I'm willing to be re-educated.[/quote]
    I suppose it depends on whether they are exposed to someone who can't just double-click on them anyway. For example, when a recipient forwards the message to a new recipient, is the information incorporated into the "header" added into the message body and thereby displayed to someone new.