4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to have to post for this topic, but I cannot figure out how to use the Search feature on this new board.....my question is this: I want to use the NOW() function in a workbook, but I only want it to update the date & time if the workbook is changed. It should not update date & time if the workbook is opened as a Read-only document.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See Help Topic -> Searching Topics and Posts.

Instead of a formula, you can use code in the Workbook_BeforeSave event procedure in the ThisWorkbook module:
    Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
      Worksheets("MySheet").Range("A1") = Now
    End Sub
    Change this to use the worksheet and cell that you want to populate.

Note: the cell will be modified even if the user uses Save As and cancels it.

Thanks
    You could also just look at the workbook properties?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Hans & Rory......I am not sure what you mean, Rory, when you say that 'you could also just look at the workbook properties'......I assume you mean that you mean that viewing of the workbook contents could be restricted other than by making it read-only but I don't know how to do that...would it leave the workbook fully viewable, but completely locked (other than if I use a password)?

Thanks
    Actually I just meant that the workbook properties include the last save time of the workbook as well as who saved it. I assumed that was what you were interested in?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rory.....not so much that...what I have is a workbook that will be uploaded to a Sharepoint site for people to view...it is a work schedule. If I show the date and time of the last change to the schedule by using NOW(), whenever someone opens the workbook (even as a read-only), that date and time will update and people won't be able to know that actual date/time of the last change.

I was hoping to get a NOW() formula (or some such formula) that would only change if the workbook was opened for editing (to make schedule changes) and then SAVED (and posted back on the Sharepoint site. That way, people would see that the date/time of the last change (eg: Tues March 31/09 @ 2:00pm) and they would know that they are reading a fairly current schedule.....whereas, if it updates upon every viewing, it may SEEM current, when in fact the data is not current.....does this make sense to you?

Thanks
    If the changes are manual (rather than as the result of formulas), you would use the Workbook_SheetChange event to write the current time to a cell, as in Hans' suggestion but if you use this event rather than the BeforeSave, then the time will only be updated if they actually save the file.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel