Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm trying to resolve an issue on a client's Toshiba Laptop running Vista Home Premium.

PROBLEM: When any DVD/CD disk is inserted into the drive, the content is not accessible. In "Computer" the drive is simply listed as the DVD/CD drive rather than a name, e.g., if it is a game, movie, application, etc. Right-clicking on the drive and choosing either "Open" or "Explore" results in the prompt to insert a disk into the drive and the drive tray opens. This happens with both factory burned disks and home-burned data disks.

TRIED SOLUTIONS: I've had her uninstall the drive and let Windows reinstall the drive but with no success. I also had her change a few of the options in "AutoPlay" in the CP with no success.

HISTORY: I asked her if she installed any new programs, updates, etc., just before this problem occurred and she said no. However, on Friday she said that a small issue arose when she inserted her camera's memory stick to retrieve some pictures. She was unable to retrieve the photos and she simply used the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility as she always does. That was the first indication of the problem.

Other than trying a System Restore point going back to before Friday, which I am not averse to, what other things can we try to resolve this issue?

THANKS!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='768267' date='30-Mar-2009 09:51'][/quote]

Has the system been powered down and back up? Does th drive spin up when a CD/DVD is inserted? Is the drive removeable or builtin? Is the PC under warranty?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='768276' date='30-Mar-2009 11:54']Has the system been powered down and back up? Does th drive spin up when a CD/DVD is inserted? Is the drive removeable or builtin? Is the PC under warranty?[/quote]
    1. Yes, it has been rebooted several times. But if you mean shutdown completely, I'm not sure.

2. Yes, the drive spins up when a disk is inserted. And Windows 'sees' it in Explorer and in Device Manager.

3. It's a laptop... but I am going to assume that the drive is replaceable.

4. I'm not sure if the laptop is still under warranty or not.

Remember now, not only are any/all disks (DVD and CD) not recognized, neither is her camera's memory card. So, I'm going to conclude that the problem is not the physical drive but a system problem, e.g., a corrupt Registry key, etc.???
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='768279' date='30-Mar-2009 11:13'][/quote]

I meant completely powered off not just re-booted. If you feel sure that this is a registry issue try a system restore.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Being that the CD/DVD is a USB device, it may have been "Saftely Removed" when one selected the icon in the system tray.

What shows in the Device manager?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='768376' date='30-Mar-2009 19:54']What shows in the Device manager?[/quote]
    The drive shows as working fine, drivers are Microsoft and installed, etc... all checks out just dandy.

I had her boot with the Toshiba "Recovery Disk" and it actually did just that. So, the drive can recognize factory "pressed" media, at least that one, but it won't recognize Microsoft Office 2007 installation disk, nor any other disk; factory or burned.

I'm thinking of having her run the old (updated for Vista) Microsoft fix for removing "Upper and Lower Filters" to see if that will help, even though Windows recognizes the drive although not the contents of media.

Whatcha thinkin' Dave? Got something in mind?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Significant progress has been made so I thought I'd report back at least for those who took the time to try and help.

It seems, and please don't ask me why or how, that Windows Media Center is at least partially responsible for this problem. I had the client end the "ehtray.exe" process in Task Manager and disable it in the Startup list via Windows Defender's "Software Explorer" and finally to change any and all instances in "AutoPlay" to something other than "Play... with Windows Media Center".

The result is now that DVD and CD media is recognized and accessible in the drive. I have not heard back if the card reader is still acting up or if connecting the digital camera via the USB cable works.

Since I haven't even opened Windows Media Center on my Vista system, since I have absolutely no use for it nor interest, I was flying blindly but my hunch paid off it seems.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='768556' date='31-Mar-2009 18:44'][/quote]

It is good that there is some progress. Thanks for the update.

Is Vista SP-1 installed? Is the system otherwise up-to-date with patches?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='768564' date='31-Mar-2009 22:12']It is good that there is some progress. Thanks for the update.

Is Vista SP-1 installed? Is the system otherwise up-to-date with patches?[/quote]
    Yes, the system is totally up to date and SP-1 is installed.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='768619' date='01-Apr-2009 06:49'][/quote]

I remember ehtray.exe interferring with something (can't recall the details) when I first installed Vista. Since I don't use Media Center I just disabled it.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The joy of success is often short-lived. The problem is back but this time partially so... blank media is recognized but no others. So now I get the 'privilege' of taking actual possession of this machine to work on the problem directly instead of having to send destructions via e-mail and/or by phone. Goodie.....

I may be back with this one!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='768842' date='02-Apr-2009 09:25']The joy of success is often short-lived.[/quote]
    Jeff, this is from left field. Is it possible that the device is having a problem with DVDs but NOT CDs? That's what happened to the combo drive in my Dell.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,

From what I understand, the problem exists with both DVD and CD discs. But I'll know for sure once I take possession of this thing. This particular laptop has had an inordinate amount of problems since day 1. The owner doesn't appear to abuse it nor install "bad" applications nor do anything out of the ordinary which would explain all the problems it has had. The machine has been "restored" to factory specs on two occasions already and everything installed fresh but it continues to have these anomalies.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem has reoccurred twice now since I fixed it. I was able to resolve the problem quickly using the "sfc /scannow" utility the first time. But now nothing seems to work. I've thrown every "fix" I could find related to the problem on Vista without success. Running "sfc /scannow" results in it giving up at about 85% with the report that there were too many errors to fix and it quits. Chkdsk reports all is okay. At this point, the client is considering sending the laptop back to Toshiba and telling them to either fix it or replace it under warranty.

I am not aware of any extraneous and suspicious applications that might be interfering with this continued corruption of files. I've done a complete re-install of the OS and installed all the applications myself not long ago. It has KAV 8.0.0.506 and Malwarebytes' Anti-malware installed, running with full updates and scans with both show no infections. So, I'm at the end of my road on this one. If anyone has some ideas on resolving this silly problem, I'd be open to trying them if they haven't been done already. Funny, the system runs perfect except for this inability to read any type of media in the DVD/CD drive.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='770437' date='14-Apr-2009 08:54']I've done a complete re-install of the OS and installed all the applications myself not long ago.[/quote]

Have you tested the DVD functionality at each step of the reinstall?

Other than to install the OS did it ever work?
    Immediately after the OS reinstall?
    Immediately after completely updating the OS?
    Immediately after installing each application?
    Etc., etc.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast