3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello everyone. I have a user who wants to rip a CD onto a PC that is used by a number of people. He wants them to be able to listen to the music on that PC only. He doesn't want them to be able to copy the music files to a flash drive, a CD drive, to be able to e-mail the files to themselves or anything like that. My thought was some kind of DRM software or something. Another thought is to use some software to lock down the PC by disabling the USB ports, CD writing capability of the optical drive, etc. Any other ideas? If you think the DRM idea is a good one where can I go for software that does that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by telecomguy9' post='768288 View Post
    Another thought is to use some software to lock down the PC by disabling the USB ports, CD writing capability of the optical drive, etc. Any other ideas? If you think the DRM idea is a good one where can I go for software that does that?
    So you are going to mess around with the settings on someone's PC? Are you serious?! I suggest you consult an IT-knowledgeable lawyer first!

See (for example) the Sony DRM scandal, Sony plans to drop DRM. Does your user have greater resources than Sony?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by telecomguy9' post='768288 View Post
    If you think the DRM idea is a good one where can I go for software that does that?
    I don't know whether DRM is a workable solution in this case, but there must be some tools out there to "tether" a recording to a particular installation of a music player. This is done by iTunes, for example, with the 99 cent recordings available from the Apple store. There also are streaming servers that server unsave-able streams, and you might be able to install locally.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='768358' date='30-Mar-2009 22:09']If it's commercially published music, try to discourage this project. The laxity in copyright law for ripping CDs may not reach beyond home/personal use, and most companies would prefer to subscribe to Rhapsody or buy the songs from the iTunes store than be a test case.

On the other hand, if the user has permission to make the copies...

I don't know whether DRM is a workable solution in this case, but there must be some tools out there to "tether" a recording to a particular installation of a music player. This is done by iTunes, for example, with the 99 cent recordings available from the Apple store. There also are streaming servers that server unsave-able streams, and you might be able to install locally.[/quote]

The PC and the music is owned by a symphony. I work for them so there are no issues regarding copyright infringment, etc. It's their music. I want to keep this as simple as possible so I'm not sure the streaming server is the best idea. I was thinking that some sort of program installed locally on the PC to lock down things might work best.

Thanks
    [quote name='telecomguy9' post='769978' date='10-Apr-2009 07:29']I was thinking that some sort of program installed locally on the PC to lock down things might work best.[/quote]
    Is it Windows XP Pro? You could check out Windows' "group policy" settings. These install into the registry and can lock down a lot of capabilities. I'm not sure whether they are applicable to XP Home/Multimedia or Vista non-business versions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='770001' date='10-Apr-2009 18:33']Is it Windows XP Pro? You could check out Windows' "group policy" settings. These install into the registry and can lock down a lot of capabilities. I'm not sure whether they are applicable to XP Home/Multimedia or Vista non-business versions.[/quote]

It is XP Pro. The problem is that right now we're not really using group policy. We're just now looking into what it can offer and how to get started with it, so we're months away from being able to use that to lock down this PC. Or are you referring perhaps to local group policy settings, if such exist?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='telecomguy9' post='770290' date='13-Apr-2009 09:54']It is XP Pro. The problem is that right now we're not really using group policy. We're just now looking into what it can offer and how to get started with it, so we're months away from being able to use that to lock down this PC. Or are you referring perhaps to local group policy settings, if such exist?[/quote]

Are the users going to be logging in with their own user/password?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I think you can set the same policies locally, either by importing into the Registry or using local policy.