Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BestWiz

Question About Excel (Excel 2000)

I do extensive "payment" work in Excel and would like to track a number of payments. I was wondering if there was a way to change the "row" numbers in Excel and match the number of payments received from certain parties? For Example: Rows 1 - 4 would usually contain the header information regarding the payments and I'd like to list the first payment on row 6 or 7. Could I change rows 6 to 1 or 7 to 1? If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Question About Excel (Excel 2000)

It's hard to visualize what you are asking for. Could you post a censored and simplified version of the spreadsheet, and break down the problem into it's parts?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add a column at the extreme left of the spreadsheet, then put numbers 1 through n in the column, starting in row 6. Then hide the actual column numbers, so they won't confuse anyone; Tools (menu), Options, View (tab), uncheck Row & Column Headers near the bottom.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can not change the row numbers. However, you can put your own numbers in a column of cells at the left of your data. Here is what you do.

1- If you have data in column A, then select cell A1 and then select "Columns" from the "Insert" menu. This should give you an empty column on the left of the sheet.

2- Select the cell in this new column A where you want the payment numbers to start. Type the starting number, probably 1, in that cell.

3- Select the cell where you just typed the starting number.

4- Hold down the shift key and click on the cell where you want the payment numbers to end. This should select all of the cells from the one with the starting number down to the last cell.

5- click on "Fill" in the "Edit" menu, and then click on "Series" in the fly-out menu.

6- In the dialog box make sure "Series in Columns" and "Type Linear" are selected, and that the Step value is 1.

7- Click on OK.

You should now nave payment numbers down the column.
    Legare Coleman

BestWiz

Thank you! That's what I've been doing, but I thought it would look nicer when I print Rows & Columns, if that extra column didn't show.

I appreciate the time you took to answer my post. Would you believe I'm still waiting on a response from Microsoft?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't want the column to show when you print, then just don't include it in the print range. This will work because ththere are no columns on the left that you do want to print. If the column is in the middle of stuff you do want to print, then before you print just select the column and do a Format/Column/Hide. Then unhide it when you are finished printing.
    Legare Coleman

BestWiz

I know it probably sounded complicated, but here goes: let's say Columns A thru B are header columns, i.e, date, payment amount. Then I'd want a row numbering the payments themselves, i.e., Row 1 (which is actually Row 3 because I skipped a couple of rows for space between the first entry and the header info) would I'd actually want to be Row 1. Make sense? However, I've since gotten the answer that the rows can's be renumbered. Bumper!

BestWiz

That sounds good, but I really need the Rows and Columns to print. Don't ask ME why he needed, but he likes it!

BestWiz

I need the row w/the sequential numbers to show. Would it help if I sent an example w/dummied up payments so you can "see" what I mean? Let ME know, will attach if needed.

I like your other suggestion of adding a column better, I tried that, but the Column at the top w/no info in it showed up. Why this gentlemen likes to see the columns is beyond ME, but we aim to please.

Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If he really insists that the row and column headers print, then he is stuck with the numbers that Excel puts in there. If he really wants the first actual records to begin with "1", you might be able to simulate the appearance of the row and column headers by putting the numbers and letters in the first column and row respectively, then formatting them to look like the row and column headers.

If this is still unacceptable, you'll just have to tell him:
    You can't have "your cake" and spell it "too".

BestWiz

Jim: I needed that laugh. He's sweet as the day is long, but he's driving ME crazy w/this thing. When he first asked ME I said, no, sorry can't do it that way. His response: "well, see what you can do?" You know what I'm doing becuz I've run out of Advil? Printing the "you can't have your cake & eat it too" responses.

Thanks Much!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Legare, Jim and others have already answered your question. The only other thing I thought of is if you want the "fake" row number as a formula you can copy down, let's say you want row 6 to read as row 1, in cell A6 enter =ROW(A6)-ROW(A$5), which will result in 1; you can copy this formula down as far as you want, it will correct itself if you insert another header row, and it is immune to insertion of blank rows. (The row will still be blank, but the next row will show the "correct fake" row count.)

If you insert a fake row count, then you may need to insert fake column lettering. So let's say you want the first Excel row to show A in cell B1, B in cell C1, etc. Enter this formula in cell B1 =CHAR(COLUMN(B1)+63). This formula is only valid through column AA; we can go all the way out to column IV if you need, the formula gets a bit trickier; let us know.
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Curiosity got the better of me. If you need fake column letters past cell AA, this should work if entered in cell B1:

=IF(COLUMN(B1)>27,CHAR(COLUMN(B1)/26+64),"")&CHAR(MOD(COLUMN(B1)-2,26)+65)

This may be a little less bulletproof than the row numbering formula I provided. For example if you wanted to start column lettering in Cell C1 instead, you'd have to change it thus:

=IF(COLUMN(C1)>28,CHAR(COLUMN(C1)/26+64),"")&CHAR(MOD(COLUMN(C1)-3,26)+65)

And someone may have a better version than these.
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you think it will help, upload an example. I have to admit that I don't know what you mean by "the Column at the top w/no info in it showed up."
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Mary, attached is your spreadsheet, with a couple of different ways to list the Payment # (number). It appears to me that the Payment # is the same as the row count that you have requested. What doyou need done that we are not understanding?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    UTC -7ąDS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast