New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in the market for a new laptop but I do not want one w/Vista installed. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Jacque

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='Jacque' post='768333' date='30-Mar-2009 14:36'][/quote]

Depends on your budget and requirements.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    but I do not want one w/Vista installed
    Good luck, I have NOT seen any laptops with XP in a LONG time. They are the hardest to find XP drivers for, when the machine came with Vista.

You might check out the major OEM's on line and see if you can order one. But like I said above, I have not seen a XP machine in the stores.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm finding my budget slowly increase & my requirements becoming more and more flexible because I know I don't have many options, if any.

Jacqueline

Thanks
    [quote name='Jacque' post='768333' date='30-Mar-2009 20:36']I am in the market for a new laptop but I do not want one w/Vista installed. Any recommendations?[/quote]
    We (in the UK) have just bought a couple of Dell Vostros (1310 and 1710) with Vista Business, but XP Pro preinstalled (and the CDs for both). This costs between 10 and 60 extra, depending on the laptop, but well worth it to preserve compatibilty with all one's desktops. These large Vostro models tend to be regarded as business machines, and I haven't seen this option offered for the cheap 'consumer' Dell laptops. I think HP also may offer this so-called "XP downgrade option', but you'd have to check.

If you're prepared to wait a few months, Windows 7 is likely to be available intergalactically!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='768396' date='30-Mar-2009 22:05']I haven't seen this option offered for the cheap 'consumer' Dell laptops.[/quote]
    Dell's configurators can be a little confusing/inconsistent because the initial button you choose may be for a special offer that disables certain options. However, the "Bonus" option (XP pre-installed, Vista on CD) is is available in both the home and business stores on Dell.com if you look hard enough. You do have to pop for the "Ultimate" or "Business" edition to get it...

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='768397' date='31-Mar-2009 06:16']Dell's configurators can be a little confusing/inconsistent because the initial button you choose may be for a special offer that disables certain options. However, the "Bonus" option (XP pre-installed, Vista on CD) is is available in both the home and business stores on Dell.com if you look hard enough. You do have to pop for the "Ultimate" or "Business" edition to get it...[/quote]
    It would seem that the UK and US websites for Dell differ somewhat, since we don't have 'Bonus Offers'! Certainly the UK configuration website is by no means intuitive, and can be agonisingly slow...

Here's the relevant portion:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='768413' date='31-Mar-2009 03:09']It would seem that the UK and US websites for Dell differ somewhat, since we don't have 'Bonus Offers'! Certainly the UK configuration website is by no means intuitive, and can be agonisingly slow...

Here's the relevant portion:[/quote]

Thanks for all your advice. Looks like I'll be going w/either a Dell or HP.

Jacqueline

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jacque' post='768333' date='30-Mar-2009 15:36']I am in the market for a new laptop but I do not want one w/Vista installed. Any recommendations?
    Thanks.
    Jacque[/quote]
    I am a user of PCs and well as MACs. You may want to consider a MacBook or MacBook Pro? Well worth the cost and Vista is definitely not installed!

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='768552' date='31-Mar-2009 19:33']I am a user of PCs and well as MACs. You may want to consider a MacBook or MacBook Pro? Well worth the cost and Vista is definitely not installed! [/quote]

Can you elaborate on the benefits? I haven't used a Mac since the early to mid-nineties. I don't do a lot w/graphics, photos or videos. I work mostly w/the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel & Outlook) & Adobe software. Would I have to convert files?

Thanks.

Jacqueline

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jacque' post='768711' date='01-Apr-2009 13:19']Can you elaborate on the benefits? I haven't used a Mac since the early to mid-nineties. I don't do a lot w/graphics, photos or videos. I work mostly w/the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel & Outlook) & Adobe software. Would I have to convert files?
    Thanks.
    Jacqueline[/quote]
    For starters, although the Mac isn't entirely virus proof, <so I protect it> it is not at as great a risk as PCs are currently. So that is one feature I like.

I've found that I can move my documents, excel sheets, and pictures from one environment to another over my home network, without problems. I have MS 2003<PC> and MS Office X <MAC> and they seem compatible. I don't use Outlook. I use Outlook Express on the PC. The program offered for MACs in the MS Office Suite is Entourage. I have no experience with Entourage since I chose to use the application "Mail" that comes loaded on the MAC. I've also downloaded Eudora and use it for some of my email correspondence. The only Adobe related item I ever deal with are .PDF and they open in an application called "Preview" so I have no opinion about this topic.

I've toyed with the idea of using both Windows and Mac on my MacBook Pro but I didn't want to waste the space on Windows or hassle with all the extra security that comes with that O/S. I did have my MAC set up in this manner for a short time and I found it fairly easy to do and I could see the benefit of having both. But as I said, I didn't want to use the HD space in that manner.

I use my MAC for mostly graphic work. I like the selection of the iLife series that MAC offers especially iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto. These applications have made editing pictures and creating movies of my grandson so much easier than anything I ever found on the PC side. But this is all my opinion of course!

I'd have to say that the PC is handy for so many jobs too. A choice would have to be made based on what the laptop is going to be used for. Since I have a PC desktop, I have the luxury of playing in both "worlds" and can use each for whatever task I'm dealing with at the moment. I wouldn't really want to have to make a choice. It would be very hard to do. Good luck with your decision! I hope I've helped a tiny bit! BTW - I really have enjoyed this MAC a lot!

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jacque' post='768711' date='01-Apr-2009 12:19'][/quote]

Just be aware that with a Windows laptop and MAC laptop similarly equipped the MAC is going to cost significantly more (2 - 3 times more).

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez' post='768760 View Post
    Just be aware that with a Windows laptop and MAC laptop similarly equipped the MAC is going to cost significantly more (2 - 3 times more).
    Joe
    [/quote]
    Hi Joe - for curiosity sake, I just ran through the Dell laptop site picking out a laptop that had XP Pro still offered and is comparable to my MacBook Pro. I managed to come in at a price which is about $300 less than the price I paid for my MacBook Pro. I figure I'd have to spend the money I saved between the purchases, on software for a new PC laptop - which I didn't have to do for my MAC. I will also add that I was lucky because I purchased my MAC as a reconditioned unit and added a three year warranty for those "what ifs" that seem to happen to all forms of technology. It all comes down to what users want in their unit, what they want to spend and what the use for it will be. Lately, there are definitely bargains to be had.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='768767' date='01-Apr-2009 16:49'][/quote]

I could find a refurbished Windows notebook for less money also. The point was new PC to new Mac.

Joe
    Joe