[attachment=83164:image006.jpg]

For Sale:

One Useless Cat.
    See above for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The cat is obviously called Jupiter.

Because, as the mouse told the cat, it Saturn Uranus.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='768425' date='31-Mar-2009 07:32']Because, as the mouse told the cat, it Saturn Uranus.[/quote]
    This article should have your name on it:

Op-Ed Contributor - Pun for the Ages - NYTimes.com

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If there were not a cat called Jupiter in this lounge, it would not have been an issue.

That article is interesting. Thank you.

But it misses something.

I put out my sign every day. Sometimes (or even most times) it's a pun. And I always preview the sign.

And, if people "get" the pun or the joke, there's a smile.

There's not that "groan" reaction like when somebody mkes a pun in real time.

For some reason, a pun which people are prepared to receive they will not give the "groan" reaction. (they know they are going to see the Subway signboard so they are prepared for the joke). Like "Bugs Bunny worked at Subway- 'what sub doc?'"

A bad pun is enough to make a groan man cry.

But we're getting back as to what makes people smile.

I think that puns make people smile because they know that they have been tricked. Somebody has been expecting something familiar, but by a small twist in words, it comes out a little different- but in a way the listener knows that there is more than one meaning. A laugh (if it comes) is because the listener realises the trick. The more subtle the trick, the lesser the chance of the listener "getting" the joke, but the bigger the chance of a bigger laugh if they do.

The point of telling a joke- even if it's a "bad" pun is to get a reaction. Preferably a good reaction. A smile, or even a laugh sometimes, is a reward- someting to know that I've given a little bit of pleasure into the world.

So I love telling jokes where I can see that it makes people smile. Ifd I put out a signboard I rarely get a visible reaction. It almost defeats the purpose of telling a joke.

I don't like to plug my website. Really. Because I'm not going to sell one single more sandwich to anybody who reads this forum.

But if anybody wants to check the website and give me any feedbaack ot would be great ;-)

Sorry, a small comment ended in a treatise.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks
    If that were my cat he would have turned that rodent into a mural on that window.
    Catz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='768425' date='31-Mar-2009 22:32']The cat is obviously called Jupiter.

Because, as the mouse told the cat, it Saturn Uranus.[/quote]
    Jupiter, and his slave Chris, has been missing in action since there was an announcement about a flat mate.

Not that I would want to start rumours ... (but Skitterbug has been very quiet lately too)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='768532' date='31-Mar-2009 18:10']Jupiter, and his slave Chris, has been missing in action since there was an announcement about a flat mate.
    Not that I would want to start rumours ... (but Skitterbug has been very quiet lately too)[/quote]
    Hemm...hemm.....whoa there........It isn't me keeping Mr. Chris from appearing in this Lounge! However, I'm certain his story will be very interesting, when he does return, since he has the "gift of gab"!

My hubby retired as of today so I've been a busy gal collecting his uniforms he had to return, etc. He had his farewell party this afternoon, so I was also asked to attend! I'm one tired individual this evening. Time for a cup of

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='768550' date='01-Apr-2009 10:24']Hemm...hemm.....whoa there........It isn't me keeping Mr. Chris from appearing in this Lounge! However, I'm certain his story will be very interesting, when he does return, since he has the "gift of gab"!

My hubby retired as of today so I've been a busy gal collecting his uniforms he had to return, etc. He had his farewell party this afternoon, so I was also asked to attend! I'm one tired individual this evening. Time for a cup of [/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='768550' date='31-Mar-2009 19:24']My hubby retired as of today so I've been a busy gal ...[/quote]
    Tell him I said Congratulations and Good Luck, on the golf course and OFF! . . .

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='768601' date='01-Apr-2009 05:34']Tell him I said Congratulations and Good Luck, on the golf course and OFF! . . .

[/quote]
    It is a crazy time to retire but that's how it worked out for us. Now we begin to discover living together 24/7 again. Your "feet-up" pic is perfect and Hubby laughed when I showed it to him! No foolin'.

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Geoff

I too, like you do, enjoy a good pun and I have often dipped into your website when you have announced new additions. Slightly different view in that I think the 'Groan' factor adds to a pun rather than detract from it.

I once entered a pun competition in a local newspaper and to try and make sure I won I submitted 10 of them and not one of my puns was choosen, so I guess you could say 'not one pun in ten did'

See your groaning
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='768629' date='02-Apr-2009 01:04']Hi Geoff

I too, like you do, enjoy a good pun and I have often dipped into your website when you have announced new additions.[/quote]Thanks.

I'm just announcing a few more pages

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='768629' date='02-Apr-2009 01:04']I too, like you do, enjoy a good pun and I have often dipped into your website when you have announced new additions.[/quote]There's another few pages for you

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='768433' date='31-Mar-2009 09:04']... smile because they know that they have been tricked.[/quote]
    Steven Pinker discusses this in one of his books.
    Real primitive stuff like optical illusions, being tickled etc, and originally laughter.
    Something about the mind getting "jolted" when it expects one thing and obtains a different thing.
    Closely related, I suspect, to the motion-sickness thing where if the ear and eye disagree the brain/body figures it is a result of toxic ingestion (poisoning), and throws up the contents of the stomach (on the assumption that something eaten was poisonous).
    Sorry to start off the weekend like that, especially to the purveyor of fine foodstuffs to the Queen Bea!

http://nooffenceanyone.blogspot.com/2006/0...g-laughter.html
    http://nooffenceanyone.blogspot.com/2005/0...o-we-laugh.html