5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. I am unable to fully open Google Maps (maps.google.com). The page draws half of the US map, the progress bar indicates about 80% complete but it then halts. I've tried in both IE 7 and Mozilla Firefox 3.07.
    All other internet use is fine. I've been wandering through anti-virus and firewall settings and have even turned all off. Any clues as to what might cause this or how I can pursue it further? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have Skype installed?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='768454' date='31-Mar-2009 16:09']Do you have Skype installed?[/quote]

No, I don't have Skype. (I also find that the page freezes when I submit a post to this lounge, but then find if I close my browser and re-open it that the post has been sent.) Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Any other browser add-ins such as the Google toolbar? If so, see if disabling them makes a difference.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='768467' date='31-Mar-2009 16:38']Any other browser add-ins such as the Google toolbar? If so, see if disabling them makes a difference.[/quote]
    I have plug-ins for Office 2007, 2003, Acrobat, Mozilla Default, Shockwave Flash, Silverlight and Windows Presentation Foundation.
    I'll disable each in turn over a period of time, although do you have a suspicion as to which is most likely to be the culprit? Silverlight? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Silverlight doesn't seem very likely since it's from Microsoft itself.

I don't know whether Google Maps uses Flash, but you'll find out easily enough if you uninstall it...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='768475' date='31-Mar-2009 17:10']Silverlight doesn't seem very likely since it's from Microsoft itself.

I don't know whether Google Maps uses Flash, but you'll find out easily enough if you uninstall it...[/quote]
    I disabled all plug-ins and even turned off my anti-virus/ firewall system for a few minutes, but am still unable to complete the loading of page 'maps.google.com'. Any other ideas?! Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, no (except reinstalling your PC)

Thanks
    I assume you've cleared your Temporary Internet Files in IE and your cache in Firefox.

Is it possible that the page is retrieving something from a different domain, and that domain is redirected in your hosts file?