Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please help me to verify these tentative observations, when debugging an app in MS Excel (2003) that has several UserForms:

1. When retrieving a value from a {text box, combo box, list box}, the data type will be a string. Your code has to use data-conversion functions like CCur, CLng on that string.
    Example: varX = UserForm1.txtTotal.Value will return the string "$332.45". So, curX = CCur(varX) would be the next line, right?

2. Regardless of what data conversion functions the developer used to calculate some data for a {text box, combo box, list box}, the loading of the data into the object will work without an error, because those objects accept the data as a string value.
    Example:
    varX = CCur(<some expression>)
    UserForm1.txtTotal.Value = varX <--- This will be loaded as a string? And the CCur function above is unnecessary?

(This question is occasioned by my failure to understand how to Step-Through the code in this app, using either the Immediate Window or the Watch Window, to observe the data types. I've tried to apply "Application.EnableEvents = False", without success.)

The original developer wrote dozens of lines of code to deal with currency values, going into and out of text boxes on the forms. He/she particularly used the FormatCurrency( ... ) and FormatNumber( ... ) functions to set up values before loading into text boxes. I have suspected that this code is unnecessary, right?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's correct that the value of a text box on a userform is always of type text.

VBA performs automatic conversion between data types, so you usually don't need CCur and other conversion functions. For example, the following will work:

Dim curX As Currency
    curX = 23.45

Me.txtTotal = curX

which will just enter a number in txtTotal, or

Me.txtTotal = Format(curX, "Currency")

which will enter the number formatted as currency.

The other way round works too:

curX = Me.txtTotal

Formatting the value in the text box can be useful, since text boxes themselves don't know how to format numbers, unlike cells in a worksheet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans: ...That's good news. Thanks very much!
    jes

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some exceptions to not having to explicitly convert values to text: when the formatting matters to you. For example with date and time values.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='768594' date='01-Apr-2009 09:47']There are some exceptions to not having to explicitly convert values to text: when the formatting matters to you. For example with date and time values.[/quote]
    That's true - if you don't use the Format function, dates and times will always be displayed using the system's Short Date and Time format.