Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone tell me how to control the number of styles that appear on this list? My list is 30 or 40 items long, and includes many styles that are not in my document and that I never intend to use--such as Heading4 through Heading9.

I know that I can delete these styles from the document, and then they won't appear, but I'm not sure I want to do that. After all, there are many styles AVAILABLE (hundreds in fact) for use that do not appear--pressing shift-down arrow beside the list box will show them--so something is controlling which ones appear and which ones don't. I simply want to eliminate some styles from appearing on this list.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Which version of Word are you using? In Word 2002 and 2003, the list displayed by the Style dropdown is controlled by the selection you make in the dropdown list at the bottom of the Styles and Formatting task pane - the choices are "Available styles", "Styles in use", "All styles" and "Custom". The choice is stored with the document. If it's "wrong" for all documents, you may want to open Normal.dot, select the desired option, then save Normal.dot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='768578' date='01-Apr-2009 06:49']Which version of Word are you using? In Word 2002 and 2003, the list displayed by the Style dropdown is controlled by the selection you make in the dropdown list at the bottom of the Styles and Formatting task pane - the choices are "Available styles", "Styles in use", "All styles" and "Custom". The choice is stored with the document. If it's "wrong" for all documents, you may want to open Normal.dot, select the desired option, then save Normal.dot.[/quote]
    Thanks Hans, you are a wealth of instant help.

Was using 2003. The "Custom" option is what I was looking for. And, I didn't know that this setting (a) controlled the toolbar dropdown list in addition to the taskpane view, and ( the setting sticks to the document (I am usually in the dark about this issue). Thanks!