5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have configured my autoarchive settings to clean out items older than 6 months. Yet it appears that my calendar is archiving items older than 2 months or, if that doesn’t explain why my items older than Jan. 28 are being deleted, then my Blackberry device is deleting them at every synchronization. To find out if the problem is with Outlook, how can I access my autoarchive settings for my calendar to see what is going on and to possibly modify the settings?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Activate the calendar.
    Select File | Folder | Properties... (alternatively, click Share My Calendar to activate the Properties dialog).
    Activate the AutoArchive tab.
    You can view and change the AutoArchive properties for your calendar here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Hans,

I realize now that the problem is not my calendar archive settings, but rather, my Blackberry, which was set to delete all calendar items older than 63 days!

Now I have a problem. On the one hand, I have a PST backed up to my external hard drive, which has all of the appiontments older than 63 days, but none of the ones I added more recently ever since I made the last backup. On the other hand, I have my current PST, which has all of the appointments I added more recently since I made the last backup, but none of the appointments older than 63 days that were deleted by my Blackberry. Is there a way to get the best of both worlds without having to individually copy from the backup PST to my current PST each of the events older than 63 days ?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you temporarily switch to a list-style view it shouldn't be too hard to copy items from one .pst file to the other...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='771416' date='20-Apr-2009 20:02']If you temporarily switch to a list-style view it shouldn't be too hard to copy items from one .pst file to the other...[/quote]

That's a lot of work I'd like to avoid if possible. Some days I have a dozen appointments and copying four months' worth of calendar items won't be easy.

Even if I copy individual items from the backup .pst, would I have both .pst's open in Outlook or in Windows Explorer? Can Outlok support having two .pst's open at once? If I do it in Windows Explorer, how can I get each individual calendar item to show up? When I view my backup .pst in Explorer, it shows up as just one file (I think it's called Outlook.pst).

Regards,

JMT

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='771563' date='21-Apr-2009 09:56']Some days I have a dozen appointments and copying four months' worth of calendar items won't be easy.

Even if I copy individual items from the backup .pst, would I have both .pst's open in Outlook or in Windows Explorer? Can Outlok support having two .pst's open at once?[/quote]
    Unless you need to pick and chose which appointments you want to restore, it's very easy and fast to bulk copy appts from one PST to another. You should try Hans' recommendation before protesting. The following Menus are Outlook 2003.

Yes you need to open them both, Outlook permits opening multiple PSTs, and you need both PST Views to be in Calendar View. Open the other PST through Outlook's File | Open | Outlook Data File dialog.

Then as Hans recommends, change the Calendar View in your source PST to a list view such as View | Arrange by | Current | Active Appointments. Then sort the Appointments by Start Date, click the first item you want to copy and shift click the last item you want to copy. This selects all appointments in that range. (If you need a more sophisticated selection method, apply a Filter.) Then use Edit | Copy to Folder, browse to the other PST Calendar Folder, and OK out. You're done.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I tried mounting my backup C drive onto my laptop and then opening the backup Outlook.pst but then that one shows up and the one on my laptop goes away. How can I get them both open at the same time?

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='jmt356' post='771664' date='21-Apr-2009 21:10']I tried mounting my backup C drive onto my laptop and then opening the backup Outlook.pst but then that one shows up and the one on my laptop goes away. How can I get them both open at the same time?[/quote]

Copy the backup PST file to some location on your HD. Rename it so you know what it is. Open Outlook normally. Then go to File | Open | Open Outlook data file. Navigate to wherever you save the backup pst. Do your copying then close the backup file.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='771574' date='21-Apr-2009 17:30']Then as Hans recommends, change the Calendar View in your source PST to a list view such as View | Arrange by | Current | Active Appointments. Then sort the Appointments by Start Date, click the first item you want to copy and shift click the last item you want to copy. This selects all appointments in that range. (If you need a more sophisticated selection method, apply a Filter.) Then use Edit | Copy to Folder, browse to the other PST Calendar Folder, and OK out. You're done.[/quote]

Hi John, I tried doing this but only get items for one day. How can I get the active items to span the four months of deleted Calendar items? Or do I have to copy them day by day?

Regards,

JMT

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='771867' date='22-Apr-2009 16:27']I ... only get items for one day.[/quote]
    See attached list view - use the scroll bar on the right side to get to the first and last item in the date range. Post back with a graphic of your Calendar List View if this doesn't help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='771871' date='23-Apr-2009 00:41']See attached list view - use the scroll bar on the right side to get to the first and last item in the date range. Post back with a graphic of your Calendar List View if this doesn't help.[/quote]

It essentially looks like yours, except that the range of appointments shown spans from 4.22.09 to 9.18.10. How can I get it to span 9.18.08 to 1.27.09?

Regards,

JMT

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jmt356' post='771882' date='22-Apr-2009 19:17']The range of appointments shown spans from 4.22.09 to 9.18.10. How can I get it to span 9.18.08 to 1.27.09?[/quote]
    Either you don't have data outside the 4.22.09 to 9.18.10 range in that PST, or you have a Filter applied. See that for this PST Calendar, View | Arrange By | Current View | Customize Current View | Filter is set to Off.

Edit - try the Events View of the Calendar to see if it shows more Items than the Active Appointment View.
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh yes; the filter was the problem. It was set to show only events that occurred today and thereafter.

Regards,

JMT