New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hi,

We just started using an access db at work. It was created and saved to a server. I have tried several times to save the db to my external hdd so I can take it home and load on my laptop at home so I can play with it.

Everytime I try to open the db from the external hdd or try to save it from the external to my laptop, it seems to be looking for the path directing to the server at work.

how can I save this database to my HDD, load to my cpu and use it?

brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps the database has been split into a frontend with queries, forms and reports and a backend with tables. If so, the frontend contains links to the tables in the backend, and it can't function stand-alone. You could copy both frontend and backend, then open the frontend and use Tools | Database Utilities | Linked Table Manager to relink the tables to your copy of the backend.

Another possibility is that a form in the database contains a picture linked to a file on the server. You can ignore the error this causes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans

I deleted all pictures from the file.

Am receiving this error "application-defined or object defined error"

brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When exactly does this error occur?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When i come to the linked table manager, i have to select the tables to be linked. i select both tables, click OK, then after about 30 seconds i get this error.

brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you ticked the check box "Always prompt for new location" before clicking OK?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, i checked that box and now go a little further.

I try to save and get this error, "the microsoft jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'tblseps'. make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correct."

I made sure everything was spelled correctly.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That error means that there is no table named 'tblseps' in the database that you specified as the backend.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hans
    do i need to be connected to my server at work as i am doing all this, i.e. saving to my external hard drive? i backed up everything to my external hdd last night and am at my house right now and not connected to the server.
    brian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't have to be connected to the server but you do need to have copies of both the frontend AND the backend database on your hard disk. If you only have the frontend you won't be able to do anything with it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK i saved both the front and back end to my hard drive last night before leaving work. so i am not sure what i am doing wrong.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure that you invoke the linked table manager from the frontend and that you point it to the backend.
    If that does not work, you can try the following (descriptions are for Access 2000, 2002 or 2003, it'd be different for Access 2007).
    - Open the frontend.
    - Activate the Tables section of the Database window.
    - Delete the linked tables. This will only delete the links, not the actual tables in the backend.
    - Select File | Get External Data | Link Tables...
    - Point to the backend database and click Link.
    - In the Link Tables dialog, click Select All, then OK.