5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the following macro in Word 2003 and 2007, to open the old-type (Word 2000) comment pane for viewing and editing comments, which I find clearer and simpler than the new-type pane.

Sub OpenCommentPane()
    If (ActiveDocument.Comments.Count > 0) Then
    ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneComments
    End If
    End Sub

However, if I use this in Reading Layout view, which is I use a lot, then when I click the Close button to close the comment pane, Word always crashes then restarts itself with the document apparently recovered. How can I use the old-type comment pane in Reading Layout view without having Word crash and restart every time I close the pane?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried it out in Word 2003 SP3, but I can't reproduce the error. Closing the comment pane in Reading Layout works correctly.

Perhaps there's an add-in that interferes with closing the comment pane on your PC. Try the steps in Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. I followed your suggestion and eventually found that the problem only occurs when the Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks > Hidden Text option is ticked. This seems to be a bug, as it happens in Word 2003 and 2007.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back - it may help other Loungers.