Thanks
    Having just set up a three-PC XP Home workgroup, and enabled file and printer sharing, I was surprised to find that, wven though I hadn't shared the printers, they were visible to each PC (well, more or less).

Would one expect a difference in this behaviour between:
    1. real networked printers, i.e. those with a network interface card (like JetDirect) installed, and
    2. the situation where each printer was attached to its own PC by a USB or parallel-printer cable (this was the workgroup situation)?
    Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='768870' date='02-Apr-2009 10:06'][/quote]

More or less visible?

The connected printers are just being made visible by XP not necessarily accessible. You would not see them if in Windows Explorer you went to Tools | Folder Options | View and unchecked "Automatically search for network folders and printers".

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='768893' date='02-Apr-2009 17:39']More or less visible?

The connected printers are just being made visible by XP not necessarily accessible. You would not see them if in Windows Explorer you went to Tools | Folder Options | View and unchecked "Automatically search for network folders and printers".[/quote]
    What I really meant was that on most of the PCs, there were more of them visible in "Printers and Faxes" than not, but I didn't have time to try to print to any of them. I was surprised to have got File Sharing working so easily. I will need to return to 'really' Share the Printers, plus a few other things (about one of which I will post separately).

Thanks for the Windows Explorer pointer, to be checked next time!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...