Thanks
    Having just set up a three-PC XP Home workgroup, and enabled file and printer sharing, I was surprised to find that, wven though I hadn't shared the printers, they were visible to each PC (well, more or less).

Would one expect a difference in this behaviour between:
    1. real networked printers, i.e. those with a network interface card (like JetDirect) installed, and
    2. the situation where each printer was attached to its own PC by a USB or parallel-printer cable (this was the workgroup situation)?
    Thanks!
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 951 Posts
    [quote name='BATcher' post='768870' date='02-Apr-2009 10:06'][/quote]

More or less visible?

The connected printers are just being made visible by XP not necessarily accessible. You would not see them if in Windows Explorer you went to Tools | Folder Options | View and unchecked "Automatically search for network folders and printers".

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='768893' date='02-Apr-2009 17:39']More or less visible?

The connected printers are just being made visible by XP not necessarily accessible. You would not see them if in Windows Explorer you went to Tools | Folder Options | View and unchecked "Automatically search for network folders and printers".[/quote]
    What I really meant was that on most of the PCs, there were more of them visible in "Printers and Faxes" than not, but I didn't have time to try to print to any of them. I was surprised to have got File Sharing working so easily. I will need to return to 'really' Share the Printers, plus a few other things (about one of which I will post separately).

Thanks for the Windows Explorer pointer, to be checked next time!
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln