New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

I am in a bit of a pinch here. I have a pavilion dv7-1245dx and it came with Vista Home 64bit. I partitioned the drive to add Windows XP to the drive but I have had nothing but problems. I read that one should not partition a Vista drive as this will lead to complications. The only complication was that I rendered Vista unbootable. I recovered the Vista partition with the built in recovery drive. I now have the second partition that is blank and would like to install XP to that partition.

Problem: After booting from the disc, I get the BSOD as soon as it finishes loading the setup files from the disc. I can't get past that part. Is there something that I don't know that is preventing me from multibooting the two operating systems?

Need: I have software that is not compatible with Vista or the 64 bit architecture and does not have drivers for either. This is why I want to multiboot the system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='degarrido' post='768940' date='02-Apr-2009 15:06'][/quote]

Welcome to the Lounge!!

See if How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots helps.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before you go any further, go to HP and get ALL of the XP drivers for this pavilion dv7-1245dx.

If there are NONE at HP, good luck in getting them any place else. If you can NOT find them, then forget in doing what you are trying to do.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='768957' date='02-Apr-2009 22:56']Before you go any further, go to HP and get ALL of the XP drivers for this pavilion dv7-1245dx.

If there are NONE at HP, good luck in getting them any place else. If you can NOT find them, then forget in doing what you are trying to do.[/quote]
    On a quick check of the HP web site it looks like they only have Vista drivers for this laptop.