3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The number of times people ask me how to open an email attatchment created in word 2007 when they have an older version of word or only microsoft works installed on their computer. I never know the best answer...however I've come across this converter and wonder if anyone has any experience of its worth or not?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='769091' date='03-Apr-2009 19:54']The number of times people ask me how to open an email attatchment created in word 2007 when they have an older version of word or only microsoft works installed on their computer. I never know the best answer...however I've come across this converter and wonder if anyone has any experience of its worth or not?[/quote]
    The Microsoft compatibility pack for Word will allow older versions of Word to open documents created in Word 2007. This has the advantage of being created and supported by Microsoft. I have been using it with Word 2003 for some months now and never had any problems. It also supports Word 2002 and Word 2000.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The people that have "WORKS", and NOT Word, are not going be able to open any of the Word 2007 type of files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='769091' date='03-Apr-2009 11:54']I've come across this converter and wonder if anyone has any experience of its worth or not?[/quote]
    I have not heard of it before, but its Swiss Army knife-like functionality sounds almost too good to be true...must search further...

Web reviews from early 2008 suggest that earlier versions were not able to preserve most of the document formatting (e.g., you got bold, but not italics or highlighting). Unless that has improved, it will not be a practical solution for day-to-day use.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='769107' date='03-Apr-2009 20:58']The people that have "WORKS", and NOT Word, are not going be able to open any of the Word 2007 type of files.[/quote]

This I realise. I've also come to realise that many new computers with vista oem installed only come with MS Works forcing many people to buy MS Office or the cheaper office and student edition. or download Open Office.org which will read word 2007 docs. all very inconvenient for many who only occassionaly use office applications.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='769107' date='03-Apr-2009 20:58']The people that have "WORKS", and NOT Word, are not going be able to open any of the Word 2007 type of files.[/quote]
    According to this page on the Microsoft web site, Microsoft Works can Share & edit Works Word Processor and Spreadsheet files with Microsoft® Office Word and Microsoft® Office Excel and vice versa.*

* Microsoft Office versions 97-2007

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='769225' date='04-Apr-2009 14:52']http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/Pr...ve_tab=Features[/quote]
    It looks as though this feature was added in Microsoft Works 9, released in 2007. Microsoft Works 8, released in 2004, presumably did not have this capability...

The Microsoft Knowledge Base does have an article that describes a compatibility pack for Works 8: How to open Word 2007 files or Excel 2007 files in Microsoft Works(MSKB 933428). I think it's worth a test before turning to third party converters.

Added: The download page linked in that MSKB article mentions being able to convert .docx to .doc in Windows Explorer, which I had never heard of before. If you right-click a .docx (e.g., on the desktop) and choose Save As, you can indeed save as a .doc. I have Office 2003 installed, so I don't know whether this conversion would work when only Works 8 is installed.

Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='769229' date='04-Apr-2009 23:09']Added: The download page linked in that MSKB article mentions being able to convert .docx to .doc in Windows Explorer, which I had never heard of before. If you right-click a .docx (e.g., on the desktop) and choose Save As, you can indeed save as a .doc. I have Office 2003 installed, so I don't know whether this conversion would work when only Works 8 is installed.[/quote]
    Aha! That's one of the things I love about the Lounge - you always learn something new. That right-click approach is a useful one to know, though I can't see where you saw it mentioned on the page you referred to.

Ian

PS - I see that the .doc file it produces is somewhat bigger than the original .docx file. Maybe the new file format has some good things going for it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='769293' date='05-Apr-2009 23:17']PS - I see that the .doc file it produces is somewhat bigger than the original .docx file. Maybe the new file format has some good things going for it.[/quote]
    Office 2007 files (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx etc.) are actually zip files so they're compressed. If you change the extension of a .docx file to .zip, you can view the contents of the zip file...