Thread: On MY XPP SP3

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    On my C: Drive I just noticed a file called pagefile.sys. It is 2,095,104 KB in size. This seems like a rather large file and I was wondering what it is since it is so large. Can anyone tell me what it is and if it is important?

Thank you.
    H Lewton

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='769094' date='03-Apr-2009 20:18']On my C: Drive I just noticed a file called pagefile.sys. It is 2,095,104 KB in size. This seems like a rather large file and I was wondering what it is since it is so large. Can anyone tell me what it is and if it is important?

Thank you.[/quote]
    This is your "virtual memory".

When Windows doesn't have enough physical memory for all the programs you are running it can move stuff that you haven't used recently into the pagefile to make room.
    When a program tries to access that memory location the operating system will quietly move it back to physical memory again - this slows down the performance a bit, but gives you a much larger virtual memory space than the real physical memory.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='769096' date='03-Apr-2009 15:21']This is your "virtual memory".

When Windows doesn't have enough physical memory for all the programs you are running it can move stuff that you haven't used recently into the pagefile to make room.
    When a program tries to access that memory location the operating system will quietly move it back to physical memory again - this slows down the performance a bit, but gives you a much larger virtual memory space than the real physical memory.[/quote]
    Thank you very much.
    H Lewton