Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it's kicked up quite a stink here since the launch. I'm in the "don't really see what all the fuss is about" camp.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, some of the shots I have seen from satellites, are a eye opener.

Before retirement, I was working on a camera to be installed on a 737, that could read the car plate from 33,000 feet in the air.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='769108' date='04-Apr-2009 04:06']BBC NEWS | UK | England | Residents challenge Google camera[/quote]

Really doesn't bother me .

If I ask Google earth to look at my address it shows me the local YMCA, which is at least 500 yards around the corner from my front door.

Go figure that one out.

Must have been a day they let their lost drivers have a go at it.
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='769108' date='03-Apr-2009 21:06']BBC NEWS | UK | England | Residents challenge Google camera[/quote]
    This was another good example of The Law of Unintended Consequences!

The chap who started the objection in the village complained that it was a "nice area" (~= rich), and that there had been a number of burglaries recently, so they didn't want pictures of all the houses published on StreetView.

However, all the UK media, local and national, took up the story - thus informing all the burglars in the country that this was an excellent village in which to do break-ins. The more technically savvy of the criminal fraternity could now look at Google Maps, Google Earth, Virtual Earth and any other mapping and satellite imagery sites to 'check out' the housing.

So all the protest achieved was an increased likelihood of break-ins - exactly what they didn't want...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They've begun googlising Switzerland as well. Where I live, close to the border, we are already in a fairly high crime area. No violence but break-ins and thefts. Many of those that have been caught are from across the maginot line! I'm not so certain that I want the 'black-hats' to have a tool to plan their dastardly deeds.

So, what is the purpose of this anyway? Why is Google spending big chunks of money to do this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='769218' date='04-Apr-2009 21:53']So, what is the purpose of this anyway? Why is Google spending big chunks of money to do this?[/quote]
    I imagine that it will be very popular with people who do mash-ups for travel companies, people who sell houses, route finding sites and many others.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='769218' date='04-Apr-2009 21:53']So, what is the purpose of this anyway? Why is Google spending big chunks of money to do this?[/quote]
    I did actually find it useful the other day. I had to go to Leeds and they had booked me into a hotel that I couldn't remember seeing in the street concerned on previous visits. But Street View enabled me to see exactly where it was.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='769227' date='04-Apr-2009 22:57']I imagine that it will be very popular with people who do mash-ups for travel companies, people who sell houses, route finding sites and many others.[/quote]
    ... and, apparently, the Manchester constabulary.