2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

style for screen shots (Word 2000 SR-1)

I have a Windows 98 Pentium II PC and MS Office 2000 SR-1.

I need to insert a bunch of screen shots into some software documentation for a custom application. I've captured the screens. Somewhere I read about setting up styles to control the size of the pictures that I will insert, whether there will be a border around the picture, etc. Of course, now I can't find any directions anywhere. Can someone help me?

Thanks,
    Betsy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: style for screen shots (Word 2000 SR-1)

You can do some of your work with a template style but not all of it. I won't give you the full details for setting up a Word style. You should be able to find instructions in Word's on-line help, or in any number of Word books. When you set up the style pay careful attention to the settings in the Paragraph dialog box, particularly the Line spacing option. There are six options available in this list. Don't use the one called "exactly". This option restricts the size of the paragraph to exactly the size that you specify. Any of the other options allow the vertical size of the paragraph to expand to accommodate any picture that you insert.

Adjusting the horizontal is a little trickier. I personally don't like for my graphics to go beyond the edges of my margins. I think it looks unprofessional, though it doesn't seam to bother some tech writers that I know. Unfortunately, Word doesn't provide a built-in way to automatically adjust the size of an inserted picture so that it fits within the margins. The hard way to do this is to manually resize every picture that you insert. I didn't like doing that so I wrote a macro. This macro allows you to select the picture to insert using Word's own Insert Picture dialog box, then resizes the picture to fit within the margins. I've assigned this marco to a toolbar button, though you could assign it to a menu also. I did not get rid of the standard "Insert picture" menu option because I only use this when I think the picture I'm inserting is wider than the space between my margins.

I'm sticking my macro in a text file because this website appears to be mangling the non-alpha characters.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, Betsy.
    My system is the same as yours P11, Word @000 SR1 and I do a LOT of what you have in front of you right now.
    Maybe I can help. I have created a few macros that do what you want to do. (...I think...) Try them and see they work for you. A couple of them won't work on a "picture" but WILL work if you change the Text Wrapping from In-line to almost anything else.

A quick way to accomplish this is to assign a keyboard shortcut to this function, in this case, Alt+A. Click the Tools menu and on the Commands tab, click "Keyboard..." . In the Customize Keyboard dialog box, under Categories, choose "All Commands". In the Commands list, scroll down and highlight "FormatDrawingObjectWrapSquare". In the "Press New Shortcut Key" field, hold down the Alt key while you hit "A". Click the Assign button and then Close.
    You'll be back in the Customize dialog box.

If you would rather have an toolbar icon than a keyboard shortcut, highlight "All Commands" in the Categories field and under Commands, scroll down to "FormatDrawingObjectWrap" and drag its icon up to a toolbar.

Whew!

...don't worry, we're gettin' there...

Now ... after pasting the desired screen capture into your Word document, highlight it and then either click the icon or use your new Alt+A shortcut to change to "Square Wrap". That done, try out a few of these macros and see if they will solve your problem.
    Luck, - Ruth.

ps: I've never sent a macro to anyone so I hope this is the right way.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much to both of the folks who replied to my question about controlling the size of screen shots on a page. I'll give your macros a try, and you may want to do the same with each others' samples. Send feedback to this thread, too!