4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any reason why the following would open an instance of Excel?
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel8, stDocName, strFileNameLS

Not only does it open an instance of Excel, but it also leaves it open. I have used the above code for over 4 years, and am only now running up against this. In the past it has always been in a WindowsXP or WindowsXP Pro environment running Access 2003.

Now running Windows Vista Ultimate with Access 2003. No other code changes.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you create an instance of Excel using Automation before running DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. And because I actually run the same line of code three times in order to put three sheets in the file, I get three instances.

I stepped through the code to see when the instances are opening and each time it is when it executes the transferspreadsheet line.

[quote name='HansV' post='769383' date='06-Apr-2009 12:11']Do you create an instance of Excel using Automation before running DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet?[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I can't explain this. DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet doesn't need an instance of Excel to run, and the only mentions I've been able to find in google and the newsgroups of Excel remaining in memory after DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet involved automating Excel.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans. I too found only references to automation, but thought I was doing something wrong. Thank you Microsoft.

[quote name='HansV' post='769404' date='06-Apr-2009 14:48']I'm sorry, I can't explain this. DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet doesn't need an instance of Excel to run, and the only mentions I've been able to find in google and the newsgroups of Excel remaining in memory after DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet involved automating Excel.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have Windows Vista so I can't confirm or deny the behavior you describe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kwvh' post='769487' date='06-Apr-2009 19:35']Thanks, Hans. I too found only references to automation, but thought I was doing something wrong. Thank you Microsoft.[/quote]
    I don't have the same combination you do - but running Vista business and Access 2007, it doesn't appear to open an instance of Excel at all. Which is of course no help to you....
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ken,

I tried your problem with a one line Docmd.TransferSpreadsheet on a machine with Vista SP1 and Office 2003 SP2 and could not reproduce it.

Which service packs of Vista and Office 2003 are you running?

Docmd.TransferSpreadsheet does not require Excel to be installed on the machine so this behavior is very odd. Have you seen it with other database on the same machine?

Kevin