3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to have word ask me where to save the a file. What is happenning is that users open word attachments from outlook and don't rename then and just hit save. This files go usually go to c:documents and settings\username\local settings\temporary internet files\.... I would like to be able to force the user to have to save it to a location instead of the location above. If that is not possible, is there a way to change the location above? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    See How to configure Outlook to block additional attachment file name extensions.

You may also find JohnBF's Outlook Attachment Manager (see Post 443421) useful.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, the location you mention depends on a registry setting; it could be changed using a group policy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='769449' date='06-Apr-2009 22:19']BTW, the location you mention depends on a registry setting; it could be changed using a group policy.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, however, I was looking at my original post and I think I didn't make clearly state what I wanted to do. Basically, a user will open a word document coming from an email. They work on it and instead of giving it a new name, they just hit save which saves it to some temporary folder. What I want to do is change that path for that folder or leave it blank so it can force the user to save it somewhere. I don't want to prevent them from opening it. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that is possible, at least not easily.

In general, it is not a good idea to open attachments (not just Word documents) directly from an e-mail. Users should be encouraged to save them to disk first and to open the saved version.

Thanks
    [quote name='Seba' post='769457' date='06-Apr-2009 15:53']Basically, a user will open a word document coming from an email. They work on it and instead of giving it a new name, they just hit save which saves it to some temporary folder. What I want to do is change that path for that folder or leave it blank so it can force the user to save it somewhere. I don't want to prevent them from opening it.[/quote]
    Well, I have searched for 10 minutes and cannot find an old thread on this...

It might be possible to intercept (hijack) the FileSave and FileSaveAs functions in Word so that you can check the "current" path and, if appropriate, change it. Whether this actually would work for you depends in part on your environment, for example, whether you already have macro code intercepting these functions in connection with a document management system or other internal solution. I think it might be worth a test.